Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing my first track day in about 7 years next week and would like to here from regulars on what to take, any tips and is anyone else going? I will be heading down the night before so will be fresh for a days riding.

I have 1 piece leathers, boots, gloves, helmet and bike is being serviced and new tyres are going on this week.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You gunna need some petrol, didn't see that on your list.

Umbrella girls are also good to have, just in case it rains. PI weather is so unpredictable.

Good luck!

·
Registered
262 Posts
OP, tips/thoughts for your first one back in a long while:
1) Don't even use your brakes. A lot of riding schools do this as their first drill, including California Superbike School. It's a great way to manage your speed, allow your fresh tires to get scrubbed in properly, get you back in tune with engine RPMs and corner entry speeds, and take the whole braking piece of riding off the table for a short bit. just stay in 3rd and 4th.
2) Get a belt or a rope or something to go around your leathers on the outside to keep them up when you want to have them down off your shoulders. Unless yours stay in position when hanging at your waist, but mine certainly don't.
3) Don't forget your ignition key. And sunblock. And water. My last track day two weeks ago was only about 60F outside, but the leathers and the wind still suck the moisture out of you even if it's not apparent.
4) If you don't have rain gear (which I don't either) bring a full-size trash bag. You can at least put that on under your leathers -- won't keep your leathers dry but it will at least keep your core dry, which would make a big difference on a cool/cold wet day.

Enjoy and be careful, watch that tire wear! I watched the MotoGP yesterday, and it was a total crash fest! Can anyone speak to why PI apparently is such hell on tires? They even used specially developed tires yesterday made specifically for this track and it was still a total shitshow.

Reactions: Pirate 1198SP

·
Registered
26 Posts
As others have said Pirate, you will need Fuel, Water and Food. Take a pressure gauge so you can drop a bit of pressure as the day warms up.

Don't forget to tape up headlights, blinkers and mirrors if you haven't already taken them off.

It's always hard to do but take it easy for the first part of each session, get used to the speed and the speed of those around you, take your time and have a shit load of fun.

As it is so different to what I normally do it certainly takes a bit out of me so remember that, you will get tired (sore) towards the end of each session and more so as the day goes on.

As far as the tyres afriathelete, it is a very fast free flowing track so tyres just wear out very quickly, it is the fastest track on the whole GP circuit as far as I recall. On top of that they resurfaced the track last year and it just eats tyres.

Be safe.

H

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Enjoy and be careful, watch that tire wear! I watched the MotoGP yesterday, and it was a total crash fest! Can anyone speak to why PI apparently is such hell on tires? They even used specially developed tires yesterday made specifically for this track and it was still a total shitshow.
It's a fast track and hell on the left hand side of your tyres .
The OP I think will not be lapping in the 29's so I believe tyre wear will be OK .
Make sure your in the right group and ease into it don't try and do a PB on the first session .

·
Registered
99 Posts
How did your track day go. Im doing my first track day on a road bike on the 9/11/14 at queensland race way with champions ride day.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did your track day go. Im doing my first track day on a road bike on the 9/11/14 at queensland race way with champions ride day.
It was great Monty, had an absolute ball. craig McMartin was there and was able to watch him ride a Panigale around too which was great. Like the others said above just take your time to learn the track and enjoy the day. Each session you go out you get to know the track and where to brake and your speed will come.

Make sure you take yourself a chair for between sessions, an esky with plenty of food and water, visor cleaner, power cord and extension lead if you have warmers, 10-15 litres of spare fuel and an umbrella girl like Jaffa said.

Enjoy mate and looking forward to hearing about your track day

1 - 9 of 9 Posts