Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
+1 for the weight AND....

I have PMV's on the 996 which were power coated, every time you change a tyre they chip the powder, AND as the wheel flexises when you hit a pot hole, it causes the powder coating to crack and it then comes off, hence I am getting them painted at next tyre change.....

·
Registered
677 Posts
ps...... the colour combo you are getting sounds great.....I think that you have a great shop to do you such a favor.

......treasure them

·
Registered
732 Posts
Haven't they switched to the new vacuum casting now with the 1198 as they use with the 848 ?
by the looks of it, it sure does look lighter than
1098 models, more like the desmo casing.
brettc it might be even lighter material than 848, I am sure it is for wight reduction if anything

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Any idea why the casing is now magnesium or is it different material?
they are serious about matching the bike,
gold wheels, gold casing, gold fram. you are forced to add
gold clutch cover and maybe rear sets although it might be a little off.
I can see the pipes powder coated black though thats a nobrainer.
That last shot with the factory 1198 sticker (I still find that funny) is a close up of the valve cover....and it does look to be magnesium. The cases are aluminum like always. If they would have painted the frame and wheels the color of that magnesium valve cover.... I would have been fine with that color. Aprilia for a couple years did their frames and wheels in that color. Maybe a reason why Ducati didn't....but that would have made a little more sense since the valve covers and the headlight shell support are mag.

Obviously, they've gone to black on both left and right side case covers, but there are subtle differences between the cases of the 1098 vs 1198. I can post a pic of these if you like. Anyway....heres a better shot of just the motor (1198).

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The only 1098 I've got is the R.... and that bad boy aint goin' anywhere :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Awesome!!! Congratulations!!! :drummer:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I've picked the frame color, and the wheel color. On the frame, I'm going to go with a "sterling black metallic" which is very similar to the deep charcoal metallic of the bike itself. For the wheels, I've gone with a gold metallic with clear very similar to the color of the Marchesini Magnesium rims that I have on my R. Both the rims and the frame are in for powder coating right now. Should be done there within the week. Also, I'm going to powder coat the magnesium headlight frame support the metallic black like the frame.

The upper clamp, the rear sprocket flange, and the clip on clamps are all sent out for anodizing (black).

I had the powder coater weigh the Rims and Frame prior to podercoating, he's going to weigh them again after they are stripped, and once they are done...he's going to weigh them again for the differential. Dbame got me thinking about the weight of powder coating vs. paint. So, I looked into it.

The powder coater was very surprised by my question, seems he's never been asked this question. He's a great guy, and went through the process with me step by step. Neither of us are sure what results we'll get...but we have a very good idea. He states it takes him 1/4 lb of powder to do both rims. He figures that half of that is overspray...leaving approximately an eighth pound on the rims, of which some of that weight is lost during baking. Not as much weight will be sloughed in the finish process as paint, but still...it does lose some of it's weight. So, conservative estimate....let's just say that between the two rims they'll gain an eighth of a pound. Well within my allowances. However...we'll see. Since he's going to weigh the parts throughout the process. Should be interesting!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Got some goodies back....

OK, so I just picked up my Frame, Wheels, and Headlight Suppor Frame from the powdercoater and I figured I'd share some pics. Here's the frame.....

Here's a shot of the headlight support against the side fairing... this gives a better idea of how the frame will look against the fairings. Not a perfect example though, since the headlight support frame comes out "flat" since it's a semi rough cast surface. The frame has a better sheen (previous pics), where the metal flake can be seen.

Now for the wheels. I was trying to get as close to the Marchesini Forged Mag color as I could. It's close enough. Very hard to duplicate that Marchesini color...but I'm happy with the outcome. And the metallic in the color is freakin wicked in the sun. Here's the wheel up against the Mag of my R.

Let me know what ya think....

·
Registered
161 Posts
daddy like, daddy like!

OK, so I just picked up my Frame, Wheels, and Headlight Suppor Frame from the powdercoater and I figured I'd share some pics. Here's the frame.....

Here's a shot of the headlight support against the side fairing... this gives a better idea of how the frame will look against the fairings. Not a perfect example though, since the headlight support frame comes out "flat" since it's a semi rough cast surface. The frame has a better sheen (previous pics), where the metal flake can be seen.

Now for the wheels. I was trying to get as close to the Marchesini Forged Mag color as I could. It's close enough. Very hard to duplicate that Marchesini color...but I'm happy with the outcome. And the metallic in the color is freakin wicked in the sun. Here's the wheel up against the Mag of my R.

Let me know what ya think....

21 - 40 of 111 Posts