Ducati.org forum banner

Pics of my 1198

37K views 110 replies 52 participants last post by  Quarantine 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so it arrived last week. Got a couple of crate pics, but I think you'll find these a bit more interesting. 1 mile on the odometer....

Check this out for the "Worlds Greatest Dealer Award"

I was talking with my mechanic about the 1198S before it was delivered, and he's telling me how he's not a fan of the color combo on the S. I had to agree, I really like the red frame on the standard 1198, and on the 1098S in black....but the creme/tan that Ducati calls bronze, not so much. Anyway, so he says "why don't we strip it down to the frame and you can powder coat it whatever color you like"...I was thinking "great idea" but "how much???"

And the award goes to DSC and my mechanic Leu.

"Nothing, I wouldn't do it for anyone else...but I'll do it for you" says Leu. I figured we'd be doing it at my place, but no.... He's talked to the shop manager and the owner... they have no problem with him doing it right there, on a lift...with all the proper tools. Holy Crap....that's a deal I couldn't refuse.

So, here's my idea for color....feel free to chime in and let me know what you think!

Black frame, black clamps, gold wheels similar to the mags color. I've got a black windscreen already installed into the shell....kinda going to a stealth black design.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds awesome!!! It does'nt get much better than that!! That dealer is in it for the long term with you. I wish they were all like that!! You need to go play the Lotto, cuz you are one lucky son bitch!!!:yo::yo:

#9 ·
Thanks guys, feeling pretty lucky these days. I'm definitely excited about the progress. At this point, I'm reasonably sure that I'm going with: Black frame, black clamps, black exhaust, ASV black levers with red adjusters (already have these), with gold wheels. Also considering doing my sprocket in black, and the calipers. I've got a little time before I have to decide, but that's the current list.

Any stipulations with that, like you need their stickers on it, or you need to show up to different shows with it? More or less using your bike as a promo to make a little extra later on. If not, nice work.
Nah, I don't have to sticker it up with DSC, or show up at any events, or consider it a Promo Bike. Although, I'd help these guys with about anything, so if they wanted me to hand it over here and there, I wouldn't have a problem with it. These guys are awesome....they're just doing it as a favor and for the fun!

Here are some more pics....The mechanic took these on Saturday when he disassembled it. I wasn't able to make it that day, so I was pretty impressed he took these shots.

Attachments

#5 ·
Holy frig, did you luck out! That's gonna look sweet! Make sure you post some pic's when yer all done.

I still can't get use to the color of the rims, they're not bad or anything they just don't do it for me. And a pinstripe wouldn't look good on them either. You need to paint the rims so you can put a nice stripe on them like the 1098s rims.

#7 ·
thats wonderful. You have a great deal for that because the dealer is not charging you at all for labors. Specially when labor of this type of work is couple of hundreds or close to thousand. Lucky bud!

#8 ·
Congrats on the new bike. Your dealer seems very cool, and they would certainly earn my business for life if I were you. Enjoy that S and the DTC!

#14 ·
I can't see how it could. The mechanic doing the work is a certified Ducati Tech, at a certified Ducati dealer...so not sure what rules we're breaking (if any).

#17 ·
Any foolproof way to tell the 1098 motor from the 1198 motor? :stickpoke
Of course....can't you see the hi-tech identification device right on the valve cover??? Here, it's in this pic....:D

Attachments

#18 ·
wow that is cool! I personally like the color combo but im sure there are a million other cool ones, and it would be nice to be different.

So are you going to powder coat the wheels or paint them. Cause if you powder coat them i htink it adds like two pounds which defeats the purpose of the light weight marchi wheels. And i think i read somewhere you can use a double clear coat or some type of finnish that is very good at protecting them from chips and scratches

Anyone got any knowledge about that?

#20 ·
Any idea why the casing is now magnesium or is it different material?
they are serious about matching the bike,
gold wheels, gold casing, gold fram. you are forced to add
gold clutch cover and maybe rear sets although it might be a little off.
I can see the pipes powder coated black though thats a nobrainer.

#25 ·
That last shot with the factory 1198 sticker (I still find that funny) is a close up of the valve cover....and it does look to be magnesium. The cases are aluminum like always. If they would have painted the frame and wheels the color of that magnesium valve cover.... I would have been fine with that color. Aprilia for a couple years did their frames and wheels in that color. Maybe a reason why Ducati didn't....but that would have made a little more sense since the valve covers and the headlight shell support are mag.

Obviously, they've gone to black on both left and right side case covers, but there are subtle differences between the cases of the 1098 vs 1198. I can post a pic of these if you like. Anyway....heres a better shot of just the motor (1198).

Attachments

#22 ·
+1 for the weight AND....

I have PMV's on the 996 which were power coated, every time you change a tyre they chip the powder, AND as the wheel flexises when you hit a pot hole, it causes the powder coating to crack and it then comes off, hence I am getting them painted at next tyre change.....

#23 ·
ps...... the colour combo you are getting sounds great.....I think that you have a great shop to do you such a favor.

......treasure them

#27 ·
The only 1098 I've got is the R.... and that bad boy aint goin' anywhere :D

#29 ·
Awesome!!! Congratulations!!! :drummer:

#32 · (Edited)
I've picked the frame color, and the wheel color. On the frame, I'm going to go with a "sterling black metallic" which is very similar to the deep charcoal metallic of the bike itself. For the wheels, I've gone with a gold metallic with clear very similar to the color of the Marchesini Magnesium rims that I have on my R. Both the rims and the frame are in for powder coating right now. Should be done there within the week. Also, I'm going to powder coat the magnesium headlight frame support the metallic black like the frame.

The upper clamp, the rear sprocket flange, and the clip on clamps are all sent out for anodizing (black).

I had the powder coater weigh the Rims and Frame prior to podercoating, he's going to weigh them again after they are stripped, and once they are done...he's going to weigh them again for the differential. Dbame got me thinking about the weight of powder coating vs. paint. So, I looked into it.

The powder coater was very surprised by my question, seems he's never been asked this question. He's a great guy, and went through the process with me step by step. Neither of us are sure what results we'll get...but we have a very good idea. He states it takes him 1/4 lb of powder to do both rims. He figures that half of that is overspray...leaving approximately an eighth pound on the rims, of which some of that weight is lost during baking. Not as much weight will be sloughed in the finish process as paint, but still...it does lose some of it's weight. So, conservative estimate....let's just say that between the two rims they'll gain an eighth of a pound. Well within my allowances. However...we'll see. Since he's going to weigh the parts throughout the process. Should be interesting!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.