·
Registered
510 Posts
Im friended you on flickr btw.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Beautiful pics DucatiJ2012
Not to be a bitch but I couldn't help but notice your overflow tube (either from the fuel tank or coolant overflow tank) thats poking out the bellypan could do with a bit of a trim. Mine was a bit too long too so I trimmed it back.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good, What f-stop are you at?
I used f8 for the full sharp pics and f2.8 for the blurred background. I am still learning this at this point by messing with the apperature but i like the fact you can improve the sharpness with it. I shoot with a canon 50mm 1.4 so it retains the sharpness with quite a low apperature

Im friended you on flickr btw.
good to know, ill do the same:yo:

Very nice indeed! I need to start shooting my bike.
Thanks!

Awesome shots. Someday I'll get some nice pics of my bike done......

Eventually.
Thanks!

Beautiful pics DucatiJ2012
Not to be a bitch but I couldn't help but notice your overflow tube (either from the fuel tank or coolant overflow tank) thats poking out the bellypan could do with a bit of a trim. Mine was a bit too long too so I trimmed it back.
Thanks for the compliments! Haha yeah, I know it hangs quite low. I do need to get down there and chop it a bit after all this time

How did you shut off the main beam from turning on?
7 summits is correct

·
Registered
37 Posts
These are some nice shots, but I think there are a few things you could do to bring the photos to the next level. I'd like to give you some criticism ONLY because you have POTENTIAL to get some great shots! I work in the media and digital media industry and have done so for over 10 years. I'm not doing this to beat ya up, just to help... please don't take it too personally.

The photos with the bike in front of the multicolor mural, work that mural in, it looks amazing. Working the mural in will highlight the mural, then you add the bike in and you are essentially saying that the bike is just as beautiful as the mural.

Many of the shots have the bike parallel or on a flat plain to the camera... you always want to shoot objects on an angle or unique perspective. Shots with the object flat in the image are for documentation... you're not documenting... you're making art. The photo with the two fans in the background is a great example. That shot could be amazing, but the bike is just parked, giving us a profile shot.

You said you have the 50mm 1.4f, if you had another lense that you could close the F-stop you could get some awesome depth of field shots. Some of the photos have the biker AND the background in focus... the image could be more dynamic if there are things in and out of focus. Play around with moving closer to or away from the bike. Again, this is probably going to require different lenses; maybe see if a friend has one and you two can swap.

The shot with it in the parking garage with the cross-hatched lights is great.

If you're going to go through the work of setting up lights and getting nice photos, make sure the bike looks as good as it can... especially clear items... like windshields. The eye goes right for the imperfections and it can ruin shots. Or long overflow tubes...

The one with the capitol building is great. Might be better without the Triumph and if you added a girl (doesn't have to half naked) or guy (fully dressed please) riding or near the bike like they are prepping for a ride. Lights from cars' taillights and so on make that a GREAT scene for a shoot.

Again, good stuff and I hope those notes help as you continue to learn and sharpen the craft.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These are some nice shots, but I think there are a few things you could do to bring the photos to the next level. I'd like to give you some criticism ONLY because you have POTENTIAL to get some great shots! I work in the media and digital media industry and have done so for over 10 years. I'm not doing this to beat ya up, just to help... please don't take it too personally.

The photos with the bike in front of the multicolor mural, work that mural in, it looks amazing. Working the mural in will highlight the mural, then you add the bike in and you are essentially saying that the bike is just as beautiful as the mural.

Many of the shots have the bike parallel or on a flat plain to the camera... you always want to shoot objects on an angle or unique perspective. Shots with the object flat in the image are for documentation... you're not documenting... you're making art. The photo with the two fans in the background is a great example. That shot could be amazing, but the bike is just parked, giving us a profile shot.

You said you have the 50mm 1.4f, if you had another lense that you could close the F-stop you could get some awesome depth of field shots. Some of the photos have the biker AND the background in focus... the image could be more dynamic if there are things in and out of focus. Play around with moving closer to or away from the bike. Again, this is probably going to require different lenses; maybe see if a friend has one and you two can swap.

The shot with it in the parking garage with the cross-hatched lights is great.

If you're going to go through the work of setting up lights and getting nice photos, make sure the bike looks as good as it can... especially clear items... like windshields. The eye goes right for the imperfections and it can ruin shots. Or long overflow tubes...

The one with the capitol building is great. Might be better without the Triumph and if you added a girl (doesn't have to half naked) or guy (fully dressed please) riding or near the bike like they are prepping for a ride. Lights from cars' taillights and so on make that a GREAT scene for a shoot.

Again, good stuff and I hope those notes help as you continue to learn and sharpen the craft.

Hahaha no harm done! I want the criticism. I actually always take one where the fstop is low and one is wide so I have one that has depth and one that doesn't. Hardest part is that this lens limits the shots so much cuz it's fixed. All the shots at f2.8 came out somewhat fuzzy with the lines on the bike so I stuck with the shots from the f8. The lens hindering me really came into effect with that mural pic like u noticed. One more inch back and I was in a busy main road so that's why the bike was so close to the camera and the mural out of focus. I couldn't use a higher fstop and make it work at that distance. Haha I tried though to make that mural pop as best I could. I really appreciate the criticism and would like to learn more from ya. I really want to pick up a canon 17-40 L and a 70-200 is usm for better versatility! Right now all I can afford is the 50 though :-/. Haha and as for the triumph...don't have to worry about that anymore, I just got him into a 2013 monster :dance:.

What kind of angles would help liven up the pic vs profile shot? Are you meaning like a low angle or high angle or do u mean positioning of the bike?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Surely there must be some sweet young thing with aspirations of breaking into modeling that would pose in your next photo shoot?
Haha my girlfriend wants to do it. She's Russian and should be a model, I'll make it happen and update the thread when it does ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
If your girlfriend SHOULD be a model... then you really ought to get her in shots! I think a lot of us can say our GF or significant other looks good/great, but maybe not model material.

Thanks for accepting the criticism, too many times people get offended.

So it sounds like you lens inventory is curtailing your photography. I hear ya on the lens issue, they really are critical for shooters. I suggest trading or borrowing lenses from other photographers you know. They may want to test out or use your lens, while you want to experiment with theirs. If you can't do that. Maybe rent a lens to get different shots. Certainly rent/test lenses BEFORE you buy them. Too, you have to be careful and trust your gut on your impressions of sellers but buying used lenses is an option (Craigslist, eBay, used section on photography stores like B&H).

As for your question, I mean both… you can use both or just one at a time to get the shot you want. Mix up the vertical angle (high, low, or level) you shoot at but also mix up the position of the bike. You can mess with both but I think bike position is more important to vary and shoot off angle at. As for different bike positions, I'm referring to angles that you shoot the bike on. Shooting directly head on at the front or the rear of the bike, or 90 degrees from that (so directly at the profile of the bike) are not as desirable as shooting inbetween those angles of the bike (thought this is NOT always the case). For example,
, notice how you see the front of the bike but you also see the side of the bike. Shooting on this angle highlights the bodywork and lines of the bike because they are given dimension from lighting and because you’re showing the viewer the X, Y, and Z axis of the bike… the bike pops, it’s a 3D (X,Y, and Z axis) entity. Or this shot,
, this shot accents the rear end of the bike, but notice the camera is lower to the ground than the bike and is angled up, shot is taken from the rear but not fully behind it but halfway between the rear and profile of the bike, this shot makes the bike look big, fast (almost like it’s evading the camera), and it highlights the lines of the body. I just google ‘motorcycle photography” from that you’ll see a bunch of different angles.

Photography is an art, art is supposed to messy. We’ve got to experiment until we find what we’re looking for or something that we like. Try things, you never know, you might find something you we’re expecting but really like. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha thanks for the compliments and advice guys. I'm pleased to announce that tomorrow, I guess techincally later today, I'll be getting those shots with the gf posing so pics of bike+girl will be coming over the next day or two

1 - 20 of 21 Posts