Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fella's;

I'm having a very hard time getting information on the differences between the original Diablo Rosso, the Rosso II, and the new Rosso III.

The 2011 848EVO needs new tires, but I'd like to know exactly what I'd be getting. The bike doesn't see track days as such, aren't any around here, but it's not a stocker either, Termi's and a Microtec 197. I do have some very sporting roads literally right out my front door, but I'm also not threatening to become anybody's team rider. The current tires have no chicken strips, I will roll it over into a corner.

900F

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Welcome back 900F!

I can't give the definitive comparison between the various iterations of the Rosso you are asking for, but I did run a Diablo Rosso Corsa a few years ago on a trip. It might have been the I, as it was a while ago and I think the Rosso had only been out a short time.

But in comparison to the original '07 fitment ('Supercorsa Pro-Street') I found it a little less in grip, but almost twice the mileage.

But it wasn't bad grip-wise. I had a pretty brisk run through The Gwydir Highway (a fabulous run over the Great Dividing Range in New South Wales) with an R1 rider, who clearly knew the road, and was trying pretty hard!

The Rosso permitted Ducati pride to be maintained! But I haven't run one since, as I like a pretty soft, grippy tyre for most use.

After 24 sets on this bike I still reckon the original Evo-style Supercorsas were the best. I have to run Diablo Corsas now as the others aren't available, and I don't actually like the rounder profile as much.

So I am about to go through the agony of choosing between the less-than-ideal options also. I might even run another Rosso rear myself as we are in the hot part of the year here, and I am doing a few country runs down to our weekender, which is wearing the middle a bit.

But I'll always run a soft front on this bike!

·
Banned
133 Posts
I had the Diablo Rosso Corsa tires on mine a while ago and didn't like them one bit. I had rear-end slides several times just on some mild road riding. That being said I didn't have an issue on track with them but knowing what happened on the road, I was never really comfortable with them and switched back to the Super Corsas and been happy ever since. I did get a bit more mileage out of the DRC, but not double.

Also the DRC have a more V like shape than the Rosso 2 or 3. When I initially chose the DRCs I researched a bit and found that the Rosso (2,3) would actually change the geometry a bit due to the circumference difference front and back.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I use the rosso II for street duty on my EVO. Easily double the mileage of OEM tires. Much better in the rain, and still soft enough to be sticky with plenty of grip for the back roads when you are pushing it a bit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the Rosso II's on my 848, and I have only put approximately 100 miles on them since I got the bike a month ago. I have ran BT-16's and Q3's on my previous bikes and really enjoyed the way they feel. The Rosso II's don't seem to give me the same "planted" feel as the BT-16's or Q3's. In all fairness, I have not been able to run the Rosso II's on a nice warm dry day yet either.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a monster 821 that I run in the canyons near my home. I have used both the Rosso 2 and Rosso 3. Great grip and a planted feel. I prefer the Rosso 3 on the front as I noticed better traction especially when the tire warmed up. Both front and rear tires have excellent traction in the wet. Buying my 3rd set soon...I am getting about 4,000 -5000 miles out of them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It all depends on how you plan to ride. Many people will poo-poo Sport Touring tires, but modern ST tires are insainely good. If you do any kind of commuting or you want to get more life out of a tire, I'd steer you towards the Angel GT's Pirelli Angel GT Sport Touring Mileage Tire Review

We are also currently testing a set of the new Metzeler Roadtec 01. They have a weird tread pattern, but man do these things stick and grip and handle - probably better than the Angel GTs.

If you only ever ride really fast on canyon, twisty roads, with the occasional trackday, then you want a Hypersport tire. As others have mentioned, the Rosso III is pretty much THE hypersport tire to get.

But honestly, if you commute or don't want to be replacing tires every 1,500 miles (about what I get out of a Hypersport tire), you will not be disappointed with modern ST tires (I see about 5,000 miles out of an ST tire). I've taken mine to track days and the only thing that will push a modern ST tire over the edge is if you do lots and lots of laps on a super hot day - then you can overheat them.

An intermediate option, halfway between the ST and the Hyper would be the new Conti Sport Attack III. Not as grippy as the Rosso III, but will last better. http://canyonchasers.net/reviews/tires/conti/sport-attack3.php

dp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.