Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know about other countries but here in the UK 'BIKE' magazine posted an article on a 1098S that they had a look at with only a few hundred miles on the clock. The plastic cambelt tensioners that were fitted were already 0.3mm out of round and had stopped rotating. The cambelt had worn a flatspot onto it. I immediately called my dealer when I read it and they said they were all being recalled for a re-fit. Mine was done before it left the shop on Thursday.

Make sure you get yours done !!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wonder if this will delay delivery. Especially if they run out of the replacement part.
Any idea what the replacement part is made of?

·
Registered
279 Posts
The pulley issue isn't related to it being made out of plastic. It's a tolerance problem between the pulley and the cambelt cover. The pulley is the adjustable one and is on an eccentric mount. Depending upon where it's set when the belt tension is fixed it can rub on the cover. Not all are doing it. It depends upon the pulley position. The issue has already been sorted at the factory and chassis numbers being chased for a recall. A Tech Bulletin was released last week in the UK.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Okay, thanks.
I'm still way down on the list, with a late April delivery.
Should be sorted by then.
There are advantages to being late!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey, thanks for the post... thats the great thing about these specific forums. Of course the prob could be the same for the standard 1098 as its the same engine.. so ppl be aware!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Tricolore said:
The pulley issue isn't related to it being made out of plastic. It's a tolerance problem between the pulley and the cambelt cover. The pulley is the adjustable one and is on an eccentric mount. Depending upon where it's set when the belt tension is fixed it can rub on the cover. Not all are doing it. It depends upon the pulley position. The issue has already been sorted at the factory and chassis numbers being chased for a recall. A Tech Bulletin was released last week in the UK.
Per Performance Bike (UK Magazine) - this issue IS related to the tensioners being made out of plastic. They also said that there are/will be aftermarket parts made from alloy (magnesium?) very shortly.

·
Registered
279 Posts
DUCMILLE said:
Per Performance Bike (UK Magazine) - this issue IS related to the tensioners being made out of plastic. They also said that there are/will be aftermarket parts made from alloy (magnesium?) very shortly.
Well that's typical for UK Bike press............we call it Bull Shit here, what do you call it in the US? I've spoken to my Dealer's Service Manager who's just back from the Factory. The subject was raised there, and the problem was definately down to fouling with the covers and NOT the fact they were made of plastic............having known this guy for years I know who I'd believe. It was also advised that only replacing with metal items would merely stuff up the covers and possibly damage the belts.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Tricolore; Next time you talk to your service manager ask him if the factory has any insight and fix for the stalling problem that the 1098 has.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks TC.
I know the UK magazines tend to 'speak their mind'.
It's one of the reasons that I love reading them.

G

·
Desmo Duc said:
Tricolore; Next time you talk to your service manager ask him if the factory has any insight and fix for the stalling problem that the 1098 has.

Yea...what's the story with that? Mine stalls almost every day that I ride it and it's getting annoying.

·
Registered
337 Posts
TexasKid said:
Yea...what's the story with that? Mine stalls almost every day that I ride it and it's getting annoying.
Kid --- What's the deal with that? Has your dealer given you any kind of suggestion at all?
Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope this is isolated to your bike, since its the only one i've heard of so far.
Let us know if they give you any kind of clue.

·
Registered
547 Posts
DUCMILLE said:
Kid --- What's the deal with that? Has your dealer given you any kind of suggestion at all?
Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope this is isolated to your bike, since its the only one i've heard of so far.
Let us know if they give you any kind of clue.
Ducmille, Is texaskid's really the only one that you have heard of stalling? I lost count of all the people on here and on the other forum who complain about multiple daily stalls.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rollers

I check with the Ducati service rep. and he said all of the standered models were changed.It was a problem with the S.He told me to keep checking them but that the problem had been fixed on mine S#001778.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Desmo Duc said:
Ducmille, Is texaskid's really the only one that you have heard of stalling? I lost count of all the people on here and on the other forum who complain about multiple daily stalls.
DD -- yeah, I found that other thread. I guess it was subconscious denial.
Well, I'm waiting for a Standard, so maybe it won't be a problem. Or by the time I finally get the darn thing they will have come up with a fix.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Imola900 said:
I check with the Ducati service rep. and he said all of the standered models were changed.It was a problem with the S.He told me to keep checking them but that the problem had been fixed on mine S#001778.

That SOUNDS good, but the "Texas Kid" has a standard and he seems to be the one having the biggest problem. :confused:

·
Registered
116 Posts
talked with spectrum in So.Cal, supposedly only a problem when slip-ons added. They have other dealers sending bikes to them for the fix,(T.P.sensor adjust) has to be set before initial start up after install. No probs. with stock or full Termis.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The 1098s I test rode was a bone stock bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts