Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a Panigale and it looks like the previous owner had difficulty removing bodywork and snapped some tabs. Anybody have any advice or places I can aim my search at to have tabs made and welded back on. In the pic, you can see the white wire harness peeking through so those are the tabs I'm talking about. Both on the black cover and the body panels. Vehicle Car Auto part Tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
If you want that ' personalised' touch and have a home soldering iron and the other bits, you could give it a crack yourself. It's really not hard to do, but do the inside not the gloss outside. Just make a trench then fill it from the sides then smooth it over again. It will hold pretty well.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Good day,

I have done plastic welding a few times here and there back when I was repairing my scooters. Like what others are saying its not hard you just have to make sure that you use the same plastic/abs material.

Good luck!

·
Registered
170 Posts
That stuff looks pretty cool...does it work as well as they claim?
I've used it on the plastic tabs on a Goldwing's mudguard, on a stress cracked St3 rear seat cowl and a couple of other projects.

None have failed yet and it's so easy to use.

Reactions: CorseRob

·
Registered
503 Posts
I use Plastifix all the time .. Very similar to the above mentioned product
Works very well if done correct

·
Registered
3 Posts
If someone wanted to use the soldering gun method, how would we make sure that the plastic was compatible with our fairings? I don't know much about this stuff, is there more than one type of abs plastic?

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
there are multiple types of ABS plastics.. You if you use it like a filler rod then you will need the same or close to plastic..

some options here... subject to the issue and repair I rarely use a filler.. just heat, gouge, back fill and smooth... and not on the painted side.. then again I am usually just doing a repair, not a shiney painted no marks restore.

If you can't ID the plastic.. and I can't.. get your hands on a cracked or broken piece from a wrecker ( or buy some carbon bling and keep the old piece).. there you have some correct ABS plastic. exactly the same..

Hope this doesn;t help...

what would I know anyway... I'm a tug boat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.