Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
I think you will find that 1900LM is not very bright for night riding. I believe 4500 and up is best.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
totally agree.

i guess i was just thinking the stock halogens are about 1250 each, so this would still be an improvement without requiring ballasts etc.

i think the 35W HID with ballast is somewhere around 3100LM, so definitely a jump on these LEDs...but ballasts can be a pain in the ass (and throw random errors & reset your clock/DTC from time to time)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a new headlight unit, fitted with Angel eyes, 4500 HID kit - small ballasts and the whole wiring kit... I initially went this route then decided to go another so its been sitting about getting dusty - It was going on Gumtree but if you think its what you may want give me a PM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Big nope.

I tested one of these.

They contain Chinese clone of CREE XL LEDs (read: short lifespan, reduced efficacy in comparison with original) .
they claim them to be 80W, but I measured draw of 0.7A at 13V (which equals to around 9W instead of 80W claimed!!!). So again, BS chinese product. You will simply not gain anywhere near usable luminosity and the light spread is pretty awful anyway.

waste of money.

There is no retrofit LED headlight substitute on market apart from custom solution as seen on Lexus/Panigale/BMW or Hella LED housing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
and claimed 1900 lumens?

9W at best equals to around 500 lumens using quality LED modules from Cree/Philips/Osram etc.

These knock offs have barely 200-300 lumens at best. Your stock H11 halogen bulb will output around 1200 lumens.

High power (65W or 80W) halogen H11 or HID is way to go if you want to increase light output.

I wish there would be LED retrofit available, but at the moment, this is still utopia.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yeah, i remember that thread...i'm trying to avoid ballasts though.

i dont particularly want to turn night into day (my old HIDs did this :/ ) , but at the same time, i want something that will at least be as bright as the stock halogens.

pretty disappointing if these are really 200LM. not sure how they could advertise as 1900LM though...I imagine people would be asking for their cash back asap!!

ps. thanks to mrnelectro - suffering the shitty lights so we dont have to!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Those Ballast are small. Your are not gonna find any LED lights that dont use ballast and give you the power you need to be as bright as your halogens. They just dont exist yet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, it's annoying they cant make an LED bulb that's at least as bright as the stockies. that's really all I'm after.

re. the ballasts, the size isn't an issue to me. it's more having to put them somewhere, and the potential for dash errors etc...2 of the 3 sets of HIDs I've had (including a set of $$$ Philips) have thrown intermittent errors - it's just one of those things that annoys the $hit out of me. i know some guys dont care if their clock resets every now and then, but it really irritates me.

anyway, i might take the above advice and just grab some nice halogens until someone puts out a reasonable LED bulb.

·
Registered
294 Posts
These ballast are super small. they fit inside of the healight. How ever the bulb has a fan on the back that does not let you use the cover. So my solutuion is to cut the cover enough to let the fan come out.

They dont throw any codes and when I had my HIDs I had to leave the bike on a tender or I would lose my settings (clock, trip). With these, I dont need to plug it into a tender. And look as bright, if not brighter than my 55w kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts