Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone read the article in the latest Motorcyclist mag on the evaluation Polen did on the 1098 and the 999. I was surprised with the results. The 999 is not dead. The price of a used 999 just increased.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I second the inquest- what magazine and is there an online article?

Also I've been told there's a comparo where the GSXR1000 trounces the Duc- anyone know about that article or Magazine??

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
steve,

my buddy told me about that comparo test also. i haven't seen it. he said it was in the british mag, "Bike", the same one that had the 30pg write-up late last year on the 1098! per my friend, at the end of the article they throw the duc a bone and note that the duc is "special". "Special"? Geez!!!

Elton

·
Registered
131 Posts
yea wasnt "bike" the same rag that was the only one to rate the R6 over the Daytona 675 even though the triumph was tops in every catagory because the R6 "just felt better" I'll take that with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
SteveNunez said:
I second the inquest- what magazine and is there an online article?

Also I've been told there's a comparo where the GSXR1000 trounces the Duc- anyone know about that article or Magazine??
The English publication "Performance Bike". The Gixxer does NOT trounce the 1098 or R1. They said the Gixxer was ever so slightly faster. In fact they picked both the Gixxer and the 1098 equal winners. The Duc had attributes that the Gixxer didn't and vice versa.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hmm, I'll have to look into this a bit further. For the 1098 to be classed with the current 190 mph (near anyways) litre bikes is a heck of an accomplishment in itself. My buddy did mention they (the mag) thought the 1098 was better in every way to the CBR1000 which isn't a bad bike itself- so the 1098 is right up there if not the "King"- but it's still royalty!

When I get my hands on the mag I'll post snippets.

·
Registered
116 Posts
0-60 the stock 1098 is faster than a stock gsxr 1000. The gsxr's only a couple tenths faster on the quarter mile, and lap times are very close as well with both bikes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry! I should have provided more details. The article is not online http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ I could not locate it. Its in the May issue of Motorcyclist with a 1098s and 999s onthe cover. The mag got a face lift with new features and writers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Man- I wish I had that issue.......gonna have to search for it!!!
I'm getting flack for abandoning my ZX10R (which I love) for the 1098- and the ZX10R is a heads-up match for the newer GSXR1K!

Wish I had that article.

·
Registered
215 Posts
THere are two recent articles out, 999 vs 1098 which really is incomplete as they spent most of the time setting the 1098 up. Also they did it during a track day with other riders on the track. Motorcyclist

The other one is Fast Bikes, its a comparo between the k6, R1, 1098, 999 and Aprilla. The 1098 beat the new R1 and almost took first but was edged out by the k6 GSXR.

Either way its impressive that it beat the new R1 and came close to taking the whole thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Plus, Polen has had a billion laps on his 999, and its been sorted. Kinda like getting back together with and old girlfriend. Feels natural and all that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was under the impression that the 999S that Polen was riding was a loaner just like the 1098S. I do not think it was his personal bike that was all sorted out. I do understand the guy has put many race miles on 999's. I just think the 1098s did not get sorted out as quickly as the 999. If he thinks the 999 was great. What the hell is Ducati race engineers thinking after they read the article. The 1098 will not be a superior race machine?

·
Registered
56 Posts
My point exactly. It was a loaner, but if you have one you ride constantly, you know exactly how it will respond to the various inputs, and you will feel more comfortable...:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
so, we are all proud because our bike which cost, on average, $5k more than either a gsx-r, zx10r, or an r1, is better than some and almost as good as the best? hmmm... i have ridden all these bikes and for me and the riding i do the ducati is the best choice. i love the bike and find if thorouhly impressive. it is embarrassing to see my teammates sniff around in hopes that in some article somewhere the 1098 may be considered a better bike than the suzuki.

G

·
I'm a Ducati person to the bone. They seem to have a heart and soul, that's where I see the difference. It doesn't matter what sort of ducati it is it's better than the rest even this would be more interesting to ride than a GXR:

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
ok it may be "embarrassing" that we are so desperate to find an article where the 1098 is on top, but I for one am all for it. I chose the ducati because it is the best (even if only the best for a decent rider like me) so naturally i want to see it be on top. It just came out and it would be nice for it to have at least a breif reign as king before the newer better bikes come out next year.

secondly, all the articles that say other bikes are better don't take into consideration what the ones that say the 1098 is faster do. With a HIGHLY skilled and experienced rider they can squeeze ever so slightly faster lap times out of bikes like the k7 gsxr or the r1 b/c they keep the bikes in the top couple thousand rpms around the track. I have heard from a lot of articles that the 1098 is SO much easier to ride fast and that the feedback it gives help to produce a better rider out of you. Even if they could squeeze a couple tenths or hundreds of seconds off of a lap time, they said (especially on the r1) that they just felt busy on the i4s. It was a lot more work and they require a lot more skill to make them go just as fast. So, a veteren racer may be able to go SLIGHTLY faster on the gsxr or r1 but I know (even as a guy interested in getting into official racing) I WILL be far faster on the ducati then on any i4, on the street or on the track. And I promised myself, when i become skilled enough to make an i4 go faster than the 1098, i'll get that. But, for now, I am buying the 1098 to LEARN to go fast, because it is the fastest thing by far for my current skill level. and I am sorry if that embarrasses you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
lee,

your attitude makes sense. what is troubling is when i see people running around trying to find evidence that their bike really is worth the money they paid based on the evaluations of moto journalists. you chose the bike because, regardless of what you hear now, it was the bike you felt best suited your style of riding.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you ride it, your enjoying it, its as simple as that!

I have owned a range of different bikes, but I knew I was buying a Ducati.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts