Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Recently bought a low mileage 2003 ST4S and I really love it. Only issue is a very poor rear brake. I replaced the rear pads with new ones and it helped a little, but it still is very lame - like an 1930's rear drum - it has a little brake but totally ineffective. Hydraulics seem fine and recently had new fluid. Pedal is solid (no air).

Anyone else have this problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi - Recently bought a low mileage 2003 ST4S and I really love it. Only issue is a very poor rear brake. I replaced the rear pads with new ones and it helped a little, but it still is very lame - like an 1930's rear drum - it has a little brake but totally ineffective. Hydraulics seem fine and recently had new fluid. Pedal is solid (no air).

Anyone else have this problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
We mostly only use rear brake (trail braking) into corners and not as a primary brake. Learn to use your front brake as primary.
If you plan to use the rear as primary brake, you're out of luck cause it can't be done.:banghead:

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
I do not know about your specific model, but for the 1198,1098,848s you have to flip the caliper when bleeding. Otherwise you will have a mush brake but I agree with the previous poster, the only time use it other than corners is when I have a passenger on a surface street, you need the weight for it to be any good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I owned a 99 ST2 and an 02 ST4s and the rear brake was not too effective on those bikes, I was never able to lock the rear on either bike, but after logging thousands of miles I found I really never used the rear brake anyway unless the weather was wet or if I was trail braking as mentioned, changing the pads is your only option, note how small that rear leaver is too, I don't think the folks at Ducati felt it was very important, spend some time on the bike and you will likely find its not an issue

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem pretty much but it was on and off. I only use the front also nut with the wife on board in an emergency stop it's good to have don't ya think???
I rebuilt my caliper with just new seals and good as new now.
Better to have a back brake and not need it versus the other.
Paul

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts