Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I picked up an S4 the other day and it's my first Ducati. Its been my dream bike for as long as I can remember. Anyway. I love it. Extremely fun to ride. Acceleration is excellent, but when I want to see what she's got. I get disappointed. It can get to 110 fast. (not saying that's a safe speed to be riding) but when it gets there. Its like it loses power and won't accelerate any further. Just bogs down and stays there. I was hoping I could get some feedback on what to do. I know it can do better.

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts
Just FYI, you're not going to get much more out that bike. It's a naked bike with a Drag Coefficient of a barn door. 110mph on that bike sounds about right, barring minor tweaks in gearing. The bogging down was probably the rev limiter hitting.

Why the huge concern for trying to extract the impossible?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh. Well that's no good. Yeah I can understand the barn door reference lol. But there is no redline or limiter on it. It doesn't slow down like a car does. It just stays there and won't go any faster. Why would they put 160 on the speedometer if it can't even go that fast. :(

·
Registered
309 Posts
Why would they put 160 on the speedometer if it can't even go that fast. :(
my owners manual says my bike goes to 168 then the dash goes to 3 dashed lines.

do a tune up, plugs, fuel filter, air filter. get some good gas in there and try again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. In my other post. People replied with the same thing. Fuel filter should be replaced. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
my owners manual says my bike goes to 168 then the dash goes to 3 dashed lines.

do a tune up, plugs, fuel filter, air filter. get some good gas in there and try again.
168 mph??? :wtf: An 848 doesn't even go that fast...I highly doubt an old ST4 does.

·
Registered
309 Posts
168 mph??? :wtf: An 848 doesn't even go that fast...I highly doubt an old ST4 does.
manual says it goes to 3 dashed lines over 168. im sure after heavy modification i can get it there after i win the lotto and loose 50lbs. ive only been to 120ish, at least from what ive seen.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Just FYI, you're not going to get much more out that bike. It's a naked bike with a Drag Coefficient of a barn door. 110mph on that bike sounds about right, barring minor tweaks in gearing. The bogging down was probably the rev limiter hitting.

that statement is way off reality....

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
With the right tune, a 115lb rider, and a long downhill straight with a slight tailwind, I bet an 848 could do that.:laughing:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
With the right tune, a 115lb rider, and a long downhill straight with a slight tailwind, I bet an 848 could do that.:laughing:
Oh i know it can, i was saying a stock one doesn't. I think stock is like 164, so all you'd have to do is change to a +1 tooth front sprocket and you got it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

there isn't a rev limiter and if the speedometer goes to 160. I would expect the company put that speed on there for a reason. Cuz it should go that fast. I'm not riding sittin up when I get to that speed. I'm tucked way down on the tank. It has no problem getting their. It just won't go faster when there. Like it can't get enough fuel. Lol

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Im thinking the OP meant a monster S4, not an ST4.....
oops! :eek:...for some reason my eyes saw a random T in there and I thought this whole time he was talking about an ST :laughing:

Ya, an S4 should definitely be faster than that. I don't know that I believe 168, but 150-155 mph for sure.

OP, just because a speedometer reads something, doesn't mean it'll go that fast. My brother's Buick park avenue says 140 on the speedometer but it tops out at 110 (yes, I tried it :D)...all speedometers are like that except for the digital ones. Also, all motorcycle speedometers have a built in error from the factory, most are around 5-8% when it's stock. So if it shows 100, you're actually going about 92-95.

If your bike doesn't go past 110, and bogs down when it gets there like you described, there's definitely an issue, but don't be surprised if it will never get to 160 or whatever is indicated on the gage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oops! :eek:...for some reason my eyes saw a random T in there and I thought this whole time he was talking about an ST :laughing:

Ya, an S4 should definitely be faster than that. I don't know that I believe 168, but 150-155 mph for sure.

OP, just because a speedometer reads something, doesn't mean it'll go that fast. My brother's Buick park avenue says 140 on the speedometer but it tops out at 110 (yes, I tried it :D)...all speedometers are like that except for the digital ones. Also, all motorcycle speedometers have a built in error from the factory, most are around 5-8% when it's stock. So if it shows 100, you're actually going about 92-95.

If your bike doesn't go past 110, and bogs down when it gets there like you described, there's definitely an issue, but don't be surprised if it will never get to 160 or whatever is indicated on the gage.
Lol yeah I'm fine if it do go all the way to 160. But its sad when I can't overtake a pos cavalier on the highway. Haha

·
Court Jester
12,047 Posts
I'm 200 + lbs and hit 145mph in the rain at the track and I'm sure it had more.. I'm for the most part all stock with a good amount of mods that I'm sure added more weight to the bike.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Check to see if previous owner went down in the front/rear sprockets. Going from 15T down to 14T in the front cost me a few mph.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Check to see if previous owner went down in the front/rear sprockets. Going from 15T down to 14T in the rear cost me a few mph.
You mean front.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts