Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be forewarned, this is a potentially dumb question...

I'd love to get something under the belly or off on the side of the rear tire. What have done or seen that achieves this?

Here is the dumb question, the exhaust on my '12 838Evo is 2-1-2 system; right in front of the tire the headers join becoming one... could I not make a custom pipe that would allow me to attach a exhaust can to that spot where they become one?

I sense that one exhaust cannot do the work that two do... but I'm no exhaust expert. I have seen the 848 Streetfighter with a single exhaust.

Why do this? I love the 848, I love riding it, but many times, I will take form over function. Say what you want, but I like it when my bike looks good. I like putting my own little spin on it.

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
I did a single can off the single pipe down by the right foot once. It was lighter than the dual set up and didn't cause any ill effect with horse power but it didn't sound nearly the same. It wasn't bad but dual mufflers sounded better. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[email protected], that's SUPER helpful! Glad to hear you didn't experience a drop in horsepower. I hear ya on the sound, but moving the exhaust is only half of my plan for the bike and what you did is what I was looking to investigate. What model/brand exhaust can is that? Any special notes you found as you were doing it? What did you use to go from the one pipe to the exhaust can (i.e. adapter pipe...)?

chicken_stripper, I had look into the DoubleDog exhaust, they are also really nice! May do that.

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
Do u still have the exhaust and hanger? :-D
I do yes. It was actually one of a pair of Graves slip-ons for the 848. I used a portion of one connector and clamped it to where I cut off the stock mid pipe, removed the one passenger peg but left the bracket, drilled a hole and bolted the muffler to it. Had I kept it would have welded the connector to the mid pipe and then wrapped the whole thing in Ti exhaust wrap.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I do yes. It was actually one of a pair of Graves slip-ons for the 848. I used a portion of one connector and clamped it to where I cut off the stock mid pipe, removed the one passenger peg but left the bracket, drilled a hole and bolted the muffler to it. Had I kept it would have welded the connector to the mid pipe and then wrapped the whole thing in Ti exhaust wrap.

I like that setup :) - do you have any more pics?

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
[email protected], that's SUPER helpful! Glad to hear you didn't experience a drop in horsepower. I hear ya on the sound, but moving the exhaust is only half of my plan for the bike and what you did is what I was looking to investigate. What model/brand exhaust can is that? Any special notes you found as you were doing it? What did you use to go from the one pipe to the exhaust can (i.e. adapter pipe...)?

chicken_stripper, I had look into the DoubleDog exhaust, they are also really nice! May do that.
I dynode it the year before I did this exhaust and then aprox a month after I went to the single as I wanted to know. The difference in HP was 1-2 but that could also have been dynoing at different times of the year.

I used a portion of the connector pipe from Graves to connect to connect to the original mid pipe. I actually plan on doing a different exhaust over this winter but also plan on modifying the rear tail to more suit having no exhaust under it.

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
[email protected], that's what I plan on doing... removing the dual under the tail and modifying the tail... should be sick once I'm done with it.

Thanks again for the info, answered my question!
No worries. I'd check out Arete Americana for some tail ideas. I believe their website is called hammersbeast.com. They have a stubby café style tail for the 1x98/848 but it uses a seat pan and rear subframe. I want to retain my stock seat cause it's super comfy and just shorten and narrow the stock tail.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts