Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I've finally decided to go ducati on my next purchase. I put my 06 cbr1000 up for sale and have been looking everyday for the perfect ducati to catch my eye. I fell in love with these bikes about 10 years ago when my buddy bought a 1995 916. I have done alot of research on problems/maitanance which I'm completely aware of and fine with...the real reason I'm posting this is just curious how many owners have extremely reliable ducatis with no complaints? And what's your mileage? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
well i said it in the other thread mentioned here i will say it again. if you really want to love the ducati, be prepared to love working with tools as well and be patient and ready for everything. i see that you are, so you ll be happy.

those problem-free 1098's with 35k miles must be either lucky or something! i don't get it :p

its like a high maintenance chick. but i wouldn't trade it with anything japanese-european anymore...

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I know of a forum member who had 76,000Kms before he decided to go in to the engine. Didn't really NEED anything but seemed like a good time to do so. Not a 1x98 but my 848 currently has 95,000Kms on it and only regular maintenance. Will roll over 100,000 before season end.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My experience has been very dependable bikes 916/998/1198 sense 1998. My problems have been dealer sabotage. Once I started doing my own work\maintenance no worries..And i'm talkin built motors on the race track.. Pretty much every shift at the rev limiter.

·
Registered
378 Posts
No issues at 8K miles on the 1198... And the 7500 mile maintenance and then the belt change is a lot of work with the bike down for a while, but that's also because it's a good time for some upgrades. I never use a dealer. Since I said that, on a different subject... For the 1098RS stuff I would trust Boulder Motorsports as I did a tare down and build up for the track bike they built and everything was top notch, and their race motors are known to hold together without failures between service intervals.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dude. Get a BMW RR, Homda, Yamaha, or a new Pani. DO NOT get a 1*98...

·
Registered
360 Posts
On what grounds?

I commute on an 1198s and has been trouble free for 23,000 miles now.
Has it ever seen the track?

What's your commute? 20-30 miles? Seen much of that rev-limiter?

Anyway... your mileage may vary. As well as experiemce.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Has it ever seen the track?

What's your commute? 20-30 miles? Seen much of that rev-limiter?

Anyway... your mileage may vary. As well as experiemce.
You don't seem to answer the above question well.
I had an 1198 for 3 years, and it was a way better machine for race track carving than street duty (my opinion). The older models had issues with crank and rod bearings, especially at or past redline (a previous racer blew his motor up on the last round in 2009). If Pat were here, I'd dare say he thinks those bikes are awesome!:stickpoke

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
My 1198 has been worry free. Nothing went wrong with it that was not caused by me! Had it for 4 years, 6000 miles on it, most of which were hard miles on race tracks, and 2 crashes with it. Still going strong so far.

Reactions: gunther19820

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well I must have a Lemmon! ^_^ #FML

Good for you and your bikes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.