Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Please forgive my noobieness.

I recent bought my first Ducati. It's a 2008 848 with 25,000 Km.

The bike starts and runs fine, I did an oil change, got rid of the gas and replaced it with fresh gas.

It will start and idle no problem.

But I can't even get it out of my parking garage (it's on the lowest level of a three level underground parking).

As soon as I put it in gear, get it rolling, it dies.

It starts up fine, but when in gear and give it any throttle, it will cut out again and again.

When in neutral or with the clutch in, it revs freely with any twist of the throttle.

I let it warm up before even sitting on it.

I have a major service scheduled in a few weeks, but I really worried there's something major wrong with it.

Please, any advice or help would be greatly appriciated.

If anyone lives in downtown Toronto and can come take a look, I will be forever in your debt.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum!

Second, the kickstand switch won't allow the bike to go out of neutral into gear without it being up. It's a safety function to keep the unsuspecting rider from riding around with the stand down.

You can unplug it and short the two pins together and it will just assume the side stand is up all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

The kick stand is up and it goes into gear np. After a lot of tries I finally got it out of the garage and on the road.

Once on the move, it still wants to stall, but if I give it more throttle, it'll go dead then it will come on again. Very jerky.

It's like there a dead spot with no fuel for the first 1/4 of the throttle travel, then when your past that point it's fine.

It's very jerky and the slow speed maneuvers make me nervous as that's when it's most likely to cut out.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Got ya, so it does move along, it just wants to stall.

Has the bike ever worked properly? If so, when did it work last? Have you done anything outside of the aforementioned oil change and fuel dump?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm guessing it worked well at some point. It has 25,000km on it.

I just bought it in February. Other than the oil and gas, I haven't done anything to it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sounds like my bike when the TPS was acting up... Does it flash a yellow triangle on the dash when acting up?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm guessing it worked well at some point. It has 25,000km on it.
I guess my point was, have you ridden it in working condition, has it been in your hands working? Because if not, then it could be a whole host of other issues. I'm just trying to figure out when the issues started. Usually backtracking gives you an answer more then anything else.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Spark plugs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I managed to get it out this morning to ride to work. I got up 2 of the three ramps by using more speed, but it still stalled close to the top of one of the ramps.

On the way to work it was very jerky at part throttle.

Its booked in for a major service (belts, valve adjustment, all fluids, tries, suspension set up, etc.) so I'm hoping that will fix the problem.

Would you guys recommend a fuel additive to clean out the injectors?

If so any brand recommendations?

Should I just leave it in the garage till I take it in for service?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
My guess is you've got a bad fuel filter and the injectors need to be cleaned due to fuel sitting in them for a long time. But I can't know for certain unless you can answer the question about if the bike worked or not at any time in your possession.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sounds like some of the issues I was having. Check the kickstand switch. The kickstand switch on these bikes are a joke. After testing my switch it appears they use a MBB (Make before Break) relay. This causes the ECU to get confused so it only feels the kickstand switch down for a split second even though its up. My bike worked well at higher speeds because there was less vibration. This is a video when my bike was having issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like some of the issues I was having. Check the kickstand switch. The kickstand switch on these bikes are a joke. After testing my switch it appears they use a MBB (Make before Break) relay. This causes the ECU to get confused so it only feels the kickstand switch down for a split second even though its up. My bike worked well at higher speeds because there was less vibration. This is a video when my bike was having issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b39cvB43c7w

This is close to what I'm experiencing.

Where is the switch?

How do I test it?

Most importantly, how do I fix it?

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Low fuel pressure will cause the same thing. Check there are no lines that have come off inside the tank. I have personally encountered this a few times on bikes from 996 to current model Paul Smarts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts