Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a problem with my bike; the engine does start but when I try to accelerate it just dies, This happens when it reaches 2k or 3k revs. help please:banghead:

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you back off the throttle after you get to the revs where it dies, does it keep running? Does it backfire once before it dies when it gets to that revs?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Does the dash also go off? Is it a power-off issue or can you hit the initiation button and get it to come right back on?

How does your kickstand switch look? Is it loose?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This happens even when I have it in neutral, only the engine goes off, the dash remains on. I can get it back on, but the engine will die again when it hits 2k

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm going with the crank position sensor(CPS). There are shims between the sensor and the casing, possibly two, which set the gap. Try removing one to reduce the gap.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't know why , just sharing experience dude. If I had a $ for every inexplicable thing Ducati's do i'd be a very rich man. I had a 999 motor do exactly this at 5000rpm, not 2000rpm, except mine backfired. Removed 1 shim...fixed. Certainly worth a look, it's free. My current Euro 998s will only run with NO SHIMS & i'm certainly not going to get into asking why coz it came from the factory with 2 shims.

·
Registered
226 Posts
After said incident turn the key off, hold down the left button and turn the key on. Big EF1 will display. Any error codes will show on the lower part of the display.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After said incident turn the key off, hold down the left button and turn the key on. Big EF1 will display. Any error codes will show on the lower part of the display.
I have no error codes, that is why I'm not sure what could be the issue

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
But my question is… what changed to cause this condition? A little Italian didn't show up one night and mess up the height of the ignition sensor.

Which begs the question, has the OP ever seen the bike run right? If so… when was the last time it ran right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bike was running as usual, I didn't use it for a week, then, this happened. The only explanation could be that my mechanic replaced the water pump like a month ago, but after that the bike was running fine with no issue, until now.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The bike was running as usual, I didn't use it for a week, then, this happened. The only explanation could be that my mechanic replaced the water pump like a month ago, but after that the bike was running fine with no issue, until now.
Yea, ya just gotta go through the usual stuff, battery, charging system, connectors first. I doubt something magically failed, its probably something loose or WET. These bikes don't like to get wet and any dampness can damage the fuel in the bike (condensation) AND connectors.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The only explanation could be that my mechanic replaced the water pump like a month ago, but after that the bike was running fine with no issue, until now.

Ahh...the rest of the story. It makes even more sense now. Removing and replacing the left side cover can upset the CPS gap. The symptoms are consistent with this being the culprit, but not for certain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have already ordered a new CPS, just in case, is there anything else I need to check when I replace it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts