Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im not yet frustrated, but having problems removing the rear wheel nut, as in using heat (butane torch) on the outside of the nut, rag straight out of ice water on the inside, and 120psi regulated gun has done nothing but scuff the socket portion of my new wheel nut removal tool!?!

Any suggestions?

Going to let the penetrating oil seep in for a night or 2 before i have another go at it

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The process entails: In gear, brake mashed, big-ass breaker bar.

The first time these come off can be a pain, but it'll break loose. You can also try strapping the wheel to the swingarm for additional resistance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do not put it in gear!

Buy a breaker bar then get a 4 foot pipe to fit over your breaker bar. Hold the rear brake down and use the 4' leverage of the pipe to loosen the nut. It helps if you have an assistant.

BTW I tried everything else before finding this solution :)

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Big ass bar and a buddy is your best friend. The nut should have been torqued down to approx. 150ft/lbs and can get a tad oxidized on. It'll come off though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Have someone sit on your bike and put their foot on the rear brake and grab the front brake. Best if they are heavy. Easy with a legit impact wrench and a steel socket, not the aluminum POS's sold on eBay.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do not put it in gear!

Buy a breaker bar then get a 4 foot pipe to fit over your breaker bar. Hold the rear brake down and use the 4' leverage of the pipe to loosen the nut. It helps if you have an assistant.

BTW I tried everything else before finding this solution :)
Best way to do it. Stay away from air tools, stay away from heat etc. Just a long ass breaker bar with a pipe on it and a friend sitting on the bike holding the rear brake.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I've never had a problem with my 120psi impact gun on any Ducati rear wheel. You just need to put it to the max impact setting and let'er rip! There is a little hole in the Ducati rear stands which allow you to put a shaft with a rubber pad in. This prevents the wheel from spinning with the impact gun on it, nice design if you ask me, works great. It won't work with the beaker bar unfortunately, it will just bend under the stresses. But if you can hold the wheel locked in place with the impact gun, it will come off for sure. Gotta check your pressures and make sure there isn't anything causing your impact to not work at it's max setting.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Best way to do it. Stay away from air tools, stay away from heat etc. Just a long ass breaker bar with a pipe on it and a friend sitting on the bike holding the rear brake.
Do you think your local dealer only use a breaker bar to remove the rear wheel nut? Trust me they are all using impact gun. Lol!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Have someone sit on your bike and put their foot on the rear brake and grab the front brake. Best if they are heavy. Easy with a legit impact wrench and a steel socket, not the aluminum POS's sold on eBay.
Yes, agreed. Those aluminum pieces of shit on eBay has caused me a few busted knuckles...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wheel has been off several times, dealership owners personal bike prior to my purchase. I figure 1 of his techs must have really cranked it, the holes were lined up for the retainer clip properly. I have the bike in gear, on a pitbull stand, on a workbench, my assistant is lightweight but strong. I am alternately bending the breaker bar and and the 5' steel bar over the breaker. I have also spun the wheel some even with all that. Relubing again 2nite and gonna try again tomorrow with bike on the ground.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions

·
Registered
198 Posts
You are trying to break that nut on a workbench on Pitbull stands????

Put the bike on the ground, have someone step on the rear brakes and break the nut loose.

·
Registered
93 Posts
4' breaker bar and a 10' steel pipe extension, plus my linebacker son sitting on the 848 holding the rear brake, while I jumped on the extension, did it for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wheel has been off several times, dealership owners personal bike prior to my purchase. I figure 1 of his techs must have really cranked it, the holes were lined up for the retainer clip properly. I have the bike in gear, on a pitbull stand, on a workbench, my assistant is lightweight but strong. I am alternately bending the breaker bar and and the 5' steel bar over the breaker. I have also spun the wheel some even with all that. Relubing again 2nite and gonna try again tomorrow with bike on the ground.

i swear I was in your boat. the breaker bar I got i think is 3' long and I took my extension for my floor jack off and put that on the end of the breaker. I had someone sitting on the bike, on the brakes and I was using all my 200lbs of weight on that thing, i even floated in the air letting my weight push down. nada.

Once I bought a legit $110 impact wrench, the thing came off like f'in butter. I couldnt imagine my own strength and weight didnt do it, but piece of damn cake with the right air tool. Same gig though, someone on the bike.

This is what I own now:
Husky 1/2 in. 800 ft. -lbs. Impact Wrench-H4480 at The Home Depot

This is what I was *trying* to use before that was totally unsuccessful. Who would have thought 450ftlb wouldnt be enough? well it is a POS HF one too!
1/2 in. Twin Hammer Air Impact Wrench

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I had a similar problem with that pesky clutch basket nut. The compressor tool couldn't budge it.

Got hold of a Milwalkee M18 FUEL 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench. It came off like butter.

God bless America!

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a similar problem with that pesky clutch basket nut. The compressor tool couldn't budge it.

Got hold of a Milwalkee M18 FUEL 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench. It came off like butter.

God bless America!
Funny, a while ago I couldnt get the clutch basket nut off with the impact wrench. It turned out that my issue was the slight little bit of back and forth play in the clutch itself, even with the basket holding tool in place, there was a tiny bit of back/forth that it essentially was negating the power of my impact.

I used my breaker bar on that and it came off easy as can be. I had the thought that the breaker bar didnt work on the wheel nut, how can it work on the clutch nut since the impact didn't. totally was the back/forth that caused it to be ineffective for ME in that situation.

Good to have both a legit breaker bar and a legit impact wrench. Both come in handy.

·
Registered
155 Posts

hi , the fist time my rear wheel came off I got the dealer to just crack the nut then rode home ,and removed .In the process the apprentice mechanic walked over to my bike [1198 sp ] brandishing his new impact gun , to the horror of the mechanic who told him NEVER EVER USE A IMPACT GUN ON THOSE WHEELS , as the other guys said two peeps one on the bike applying the brakes one on the breaker bar , job done . The best thing I got to help was a 3foot snapon bar and the speedy moto Ducati steel socket as the aluminium one chew out easily :smoking:

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
The 10' pipe doesn't always work..... couple of years ago I twisted off a 1/2" snap-on breaker bar trying to remove one. Ended up having to grind the side of the nut until it split.

Over the years I learned the secret is to always use the SPECIFIED grease and they are never more difficult to remove than they are to fit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts