Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m wondering if all you 1098 owners out there have seen the recent review on the 1098 in Bike Magazine out of the UK. The following is a section from the magazine regarding the cam belt tensioner pulleys, read on…

“And we’ve found a problem: on the 916 and the 999, the cam belt tensioner pulleys are made of steel. On the 1098 they’re plastic, probably to save weight rather than costs, but on this bike [a demonstrator from Ducati UK] one has stopped turning altogether – its 0.3mm oval rather than round – and the cam belts running over it has worn it flat. That could wreck the engine in no time and I’m gobsmacked it’s like it. The belt pulleys are one of the most important parts of the motor and they’ve built them from Taiwanese bloody plastic. One of the selling points of the 1098 is the extended service intervals. This motor wouldn’t have made it that far. First thing for my race bike is to fit steel pulleys’.

Has anyone experience this problem yet? Has anyone had this looked at, at they’re last service? Has any one decided to swap out their pulleys as a precautionary measure? Anyone know what kinds of costs are involved?

I’m sure I’m good to go as far as the 1st 1000kms are concerned, I’m going to bring this up to my dealer at my first service check. I just was curious to know what all my 1098 friends out there make of it.

:mad:

G

·
a couple of pages on it here:

http://www.ducati1098.net/forum/showthread.php?t=288

I spoke to my service engineer who tells me that ducati has sent out a memo about the problem but hasn't as yet given them the solution, (this was a while ago now) so they'll be keeping an eye on it. Just a clearance problem I believe. 2 year unlimited mile warranty don't have to worry to much just ride it and if it stuffs up tell em to come and get it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ya thats an old problem that has already been taken care of. It was only an issue on the very very first batch of bikes. It has nothing to do with the pulleys being composite or "plastic" It was a clearance issue between the cover and the pulleys. theres no need to buy metal pulleys.

·
Registered
131 Posts
anyone know what qualifies as the first batch of bikes? because mine was the first to arrive in CO. Makes me a little nervious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stevelkinevil said:
anyone know what qualifies as the first batch of bikes? because mine was the first to arrive in CO. Makes me a little nervious.
This issue was covered by a recall here in the UK, not sure about the states. My bike wasn't allowed to leave the shop without the fix, which delayed delivery a week.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Stevelkinevil said:
My understanding is that it was really only an issue with the first batch of 'S' models, since by the time the Standards were sent to us here in the USA, it was already addressed either at the factory or by the dealer via the memo.

Anyone else hear anything differently??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts