Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let the final week countdown before the season opener commence! That's right sports fan's, tonight marks the final test and the one week mark before we see some racing.

Here is what's happening before the final test:

Lorenzo end's his testing of the left side thumb break.
MotoGP News - MotoGP: Lorenzo brake experiment unlikely to continue

Scott Redding thinks he can get within 1 second of the leaders riding this.. :smoking:
MotoGP News - 'Within a second' - Redding's target in Qatar MotoGP test

Andrea Dovizioso is now officially part of the "desmo owners club"

More silliness to come tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rossi Crashes
Marquez takes it easy
Lorenzo forgot how to ride
AND
Ducati does a ONE/TWO!!!!

crash.net said:
Both riders set their best lap times on the GP15, which Iannone rode throughout. Dovizioso completed a few early laps on the GP14.3 before switching over to the GP15. The pair went on to dominate Saturday's seven hours of track time at the floodlit Losail circuit, repeatedly exchanging the fastest lap time with only a brief interruption to their dominance by world champion Marc Marquez.

By the 11pm close of testing Iannone held control with a lap of 1m 55.265s, which is just one tenth from Casey Stoner's 2008 race lap record. Dovizioso was a mere 0.098s slower, with Marquez 0.289s from the top for Repsol Honda.

Dovizioso made clear that "he didn't use the soft tyre" while Iannone spoke of being quick on both "new and used tyres". Dovizioso added that they are more competitive than in Sepang, and "can go faster because we have something to try tomorrow or the day after tomorrow."
Dovizioso said:
“I am very satisfied with this first day here in Qatar, because we immediately got off to a fast start and this is always important. For sure we still have a lot of work to do because there are a few aspects of the GP15 that we have to improve before we arrive at the race, but I am happy with the base settings we have established here. Tomorrow we'll do some important tests to better understand our new bike, but as I said before today was a very positive start.
1. = Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 55.265s [Lap 30/50]
2. = Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 55.363s +0.098s [36/48]
3. = Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 55.554s +0.289s [23/44]
4. = Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 55.698s +0.433s [33/44]
5. = Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 55.813s +0.548s [31/33]
6. = Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 55.828s +0.563s [42/43]
7. = Cal Crutchlow GBR CWM LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 55.837s +0.572s [26/38]
8. = Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 55.938s +0.673s [27/48]
9. ˄ Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 55.954s +0.689s [41/43]
10. ˅ Scott Redding GBR Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 56.112s +0.847s [43/47]
11. ˅ Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* 1m 56.130s +0.865s [42/42]
12. ˄ Danilo Petrucci ITA Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP14.1) 1m 56.132s +0.867s [44/44]
13. ˅ Yonny Hernandez COL Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 56.301s +1.036s [26/38]
14. ˅ Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 56.615s +1.350s [31/50]
15. ˅ Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing (RC213V-RS) 1m 56.638s +1.373s [29/34]
16. ˅ Mike Di Meglio FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14 Open) 1m 56.719s +1.454s [32/45]
17. ˄ Nicky Hayden USA Drive M7 Aspar (RC213V-RS) 1m 57.099s +1.834s [40/47]
18. ˅ Stefan Bradl GER Athina Forward Racing (Forward Yamaha) 1m 57.146s +1.881s [16/27]
19. ˄ Jack Miller AUS CWM LCR Honda (RC213V-RS)* 1m 57.228s +1.963s [43/49]
20. ˅ Loris Baz FRA Athina Forward Racing (Forward Yamaha)* 1m 57.376s +2.111s [34/40]
21. ˅ Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14 Open) 1m 57.405s +2.140s [4/18]
22. ˅ Eugene Laverty IRL Drive M7 Aspar Honda (RC213V-RS)* 1m 57.500s +2.235s [36/44]
23. ˅ Michele Pirro ITA Ducati Test Rider (Desmosedici) 1m 57.664s +2.399s [31/53]
24. ˅ Alex De Angelis RSM Octo IodaRacing (ART) 1m 58.026s +2.761s [26/45]
25. = Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 58.459s +3.194s [24/34]
26. = Marco Melandri ITA Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 58.990s +3.725s [19/19]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Marc's lap times last year was around 1'54 so perhaps today he'll either hover around that time or even dip into the 1'53 barrier.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yep.. Pretty exciting to myself..
"Crazy Joe" has been looking good, as well as Dovi..
Early days.. Trying new bikes.. And today a new exhaust and WINGS!

Go get'em boys..

I get that this is only "testing", but it is definitely exciting.
Soft tires.. Advantages.. False hopes towards what will actually happen come race time?

Perhaps.. But progress is being made, and I am excited to see how the boys do when the racing begins.

Reactions: WERA689 and 219R

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
The GP15 looks promising! Hopefully they can keep up the good work.

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Top work Ducati with the GP15!

Dovi on top on Day 2 of the final test, with Iannone in third - just a fraction behind Marquez.

And they weren't using the soft tyre option (which they can, having had such lack-lustre results last year). Apparently Marquez stated that "they could have taken another second off with those".

So we can feel - tentatively - a little bit excited about their prospects. Maybe they can finally compete on equal terms with Honda and Yamaha. Perhaps as the third of the factory teams behind the other two.

And Crutchlow has done some impressive times on the Honda, so it would appear that their bike is more competitive than the non-factory bike of last year. Gives Miller a chance to learn on a fast bike..

And the top riders are finally matching Stoner's record laptime of 2008.

2015 looking good..

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
...with 200cc less :eek:

Reactions: 219R and Aussie_Bob

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lets not forget that he did that on a sh!tty old GP8...
Goes to show you how GOOD Casey Stoner is. Plus, the tires have changed a great deal since then, so that could play a small role.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Day 2 press release

crash.net said:
Ducati Team riders continue their positive progress in Qatar: Dovizioso 1st and Iannone 3rd at the end of second day of testing at Losail.

Day 2 of pre-season IRTA testing at the Losail International Circuit in Qatar again proved to be positive for the Ducati Team, as both Andrea Dovizioso and Andrea Iannone continued with set-up work on their Desmosedici GP15 bikes, always using the hardest compound tyres available for the Italian squad.

From his eighteenth lap onwards, Dovizioso, who was constantly up at the front throughout today’s session, also experimented with a fairing that sported two aerodynamic carbon winglets, and it was on this GP15 “with wings” that he set his best time of the day in 1'54.907 on lap 33, guaranteeing him the top slot at the end of the day.

His team-mate Iannone also lapped at a good pace throughout and he set his best time on lap 16 in 1'55.104, finishing the day in third place just 13/1000ths of a second from Marquez.

Michele Pirro, test-rider for the Ducati Test Team, continued with valuable development work, testing various chassis solutions on his Desmosedici GP14.3. The rider from Puglia completed a total of 32 laps, the best of which in 1’56.476, to end day 2 of testing in nineteenth position.

Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team #04) – 1’54.907 (1st), 38 laps

“I am very pleased with my time today: we worked really well and always used the hard tyre, just like yesterday. I am also happy from the point of view of our speed because we are able to be very competitive both with used tyres and with new ones. We still have to improve certain aspects, like stability under braking, and in the first part of acceleration the bike still moves a bit too much, but as for our lap speed we are at a good point. Now we’re working on fine-tuning and on race distance, because on this track the drop in tyre performance is very significant.”

Andrea Iannone (Ducati Team #29) – 1’55.104 (3rd), 46 laps

“I am very happy with the way today went, for sure it was a positive session because I improved my best time by a little bit but above all we concentrated on race pace to try and improve this aspect, which for us until the end of last year was a bit critical. We obtained a lot of useful indications, especially from the point of view of the electronics and tomorrow we will also try and do an entire simulation over race distance.”

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After reading and analyzing what Ducati are doing, a few points can be made.

- The winglets are to help with the wheelies coming out of corners. It's a problem they've had for a considerable amount of time and their solution involves electronics AND winglets. So far they are not certain if they will stay, but riders have been positive about their use.

- The bike still chews through tires. Dovi has mentioned this many times and they've tested used tires with mild success. The good lap times were done on fresh tires, something we've seen before with this bike's predecessor. With that said however, they're using the hard tire for these tests and it's been delivering excellent lap times. So this is a HUGE step forward for the team, finally capable of using a tire that can withstand the length of a race and not loose too much lap time.

- Ducati always makes a killer engine, reliability hasn't been a problem of theirs in the past and I figure it won't be in the future.

The GP15 was suppose to solve their problems. At this point in testing, with one more day to go, it's very clear the new bike solves most of their problems. It's not going to be perfect after only few days riding it, but as Dovi put it in the first test, they can only get better with this new platform. It's very exciting to see the hard work they've put in over the last year, finally come to fruition and perhaps the tire issues aren't a big deal. Tomorrow (the final day of testing) will be very important as they'll be working on race distance, so lets cross our fingers because so far they're clearly on the right foot since 2007!

·
Registered
333 Posts
When Dovi says he used the hard tire, I took that to mean he used the harder of his two available options, i.e. the medium tire that everyone else is using. I could be wrong but as far as I know the tire restrictions are in place for the test just as they are for the season.

Which of course begs the question why Ducati would want the softer option tire any longer. If they're putting up competitive one off times on the medium tire then the soft is of much less use than the "overall" hard option, which could lend longevity in the race.

I know it's not up to Ducati which tires they get, but in effect they have one usable tire each weekend. They don't have another viable race option.

Maybe if the use the soft option and take 1st and 2nd on the grid every race by 1 sec Honda and Yamaha will bitch enough that the tires get changed first. From what I remember Ducati would have to win 3 races before they lose the soft tire option. I bet it happens sooner.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I believe it was 1 race win, or 2 2nd places, or 3 3rd places, unless it's changed.

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
918 Posts
The winglets have come and gone in the past. They've helped no one.

How the hell do we know the tire on the Desmo can withstand the length of the race without knowing the results of any race simulations?

Ducati does make a killer engine, but they also make a killer chassis. Ask Melandri, Stoner, Rossi, Hayden, Spies, Abraham, Crutchlow, Ianonie, etc about how killer that chassis can be. Pretty sure it tried to kill them each multiple times.

I honestly don't see the GP15 as a solution to any problems. How many times did we see or hear of Stoner crashing on any Desmo in practice or qualifying throughout the years? Any takers? We know it's happened but not more than its happened to any other rider on any other machine. Let's wait until we officially see a single race before we start worshipping the GP15. If Andrea^2 can both finish races consistently high up in the rankings, then I think that is cause for celebration.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
I don't think anyone has "worshipped" the GP15 on here.

Only found some optimism where there does appear to be cause for some.

If the riders are becoming confident enough in the new bike to lead the time-sheets ahead of Marquez I would say that is reason for hope.

Of course it won't be like this in the races, but they should be able to put up a better showing on the new bike.

If you read the reports on motoGP.com you will find that they did do some race-length testing. Not the same as being in a race obviously, but again - reason to raise our expectations over recent years' disappointments.

But of course the weather put paid to the third day's testing, where Marquez could have been expected to match or beat their times.

As to Stoner's crash record? Not great, I'm afraid - in testing, qualifying or racing. He managed to minimise the crashes sufficiently in the races to be very successful (when he wasn't being 'taken out' by Valentino..) but he certainly 'tasted the gravel' way too often.

Probably what convinced him to go fishing in the end. That and the approaching Marquez brothers..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts