Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a question. First off when I tell freinds of mine how much I'm spending on the new 1098s they cringe. Witch doesn't bother me cuz they just dont understand what your getting for the money. Then they ask (are you at least getting a free helmet and jacket for spending that much.) I tell them no and they act like im an idiot for not trying to make that kind of deal. I kind of feel the the ball is in the dealers court cuz the bikes are so limited. So im asking you guys when and if I sit down to sign the paperwork should I ask for these extras. I know alot of you will say it wouldnt hurt to ask but I just wanted to hear some opinions.

p.s. Im also paying the dealer to install the full tremi's kit

·
Registered
48 Posts
I doubt anyone waiting 6mo-1yr for a F430 (or at least when they were brand new) sat down at the table and asked for a free set of ferrari luggage or something. They're just happy (as are we) to be getting the car (bike!) in the first place! So, no, I won't be even just asking for freebies. I'll just be happy to have my bike!

·
Registered
547 Posts
BBaxR6 said:
I doubt anyone waiting 6mo-1yr for a F430 (or at least when they were brand new) sat down at the table and asked for a free set of ferrari luggage or something. They're just happy (as are we) to be getting the car (bike!) in the first place! So, no, I won't be even just asking for freebies. I'll just be happy to have my bike!
Agreed.

If a dealer is gonna give any thing for free its gonna be in the area of a t shirt, nothing of significant value like a jacket or a helmet. some dealers will give a discount on accessories some wont, some may install the accessories for free at time of delivery. It all depends on how generous the dealer is. on a low production high demand bike i wouldn't expect to get anything for free, because there are plenty of other people out there like BBaxR6 said that just want the bike. Just be happy when you get that call saying your bike is in. Don't let your friends get to you, they just don't understand the world of Ducati.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
10mm said:
Friends ask, "Are you getting a free helmet and jacket for spending that much?" When I sit down to sign the paperwork should I ask for these extras?
10mm,

I wouldn't expect too much. A discount in parts is not uncommon, (my dealership is giving me 10% off all parts purchases). Free helmet and jacket? Unlikely. My dealer threw in a "free" pair of AlpineStars GP "Tech gloves worth $150.00 dollars, but that was after I had just bought a 2 piece AlpineStars leather suit for $1,000.00 dollars.

Check out CAG's thread, "How much was your 1098?" There's a pretty exhaustive list of what we all paid for our bikes along with what "freebies" we got.

Elton

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here is another way to think of it... You get what you pay for right? If your dealer or any other motorbike dealer were to give you a jacket or helmet for free, would you wear it?

I sure wouldn't. Why? Because when it comes to protecting my head and body I wont wear cheap stuff, I try to buy the best money can buy and I'm pretty sure a dealer wont give you a 900 dollar helmet and 899 dollar jacket. They might give you that 150 dollar helmet and 80 dollar Joe squid rocket paper mesh jacket. I say no thanks...

I've had friends, mostly cruiser owners get a free plain jane black helmet. I tell ya I wouldnt wear it if you paid me.

just my two cents... Oh and not to mention you are getting a very exclusive bike, although for how much longer I dunno... but for now its very rare.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Didn't even ask for any other goodies. Didn't try to nickle and dime the dealer. Sometimes this attitude pays dividends down the road. They remember a customer they want to please, take care of, give attention and priority to.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I always throw a request in there for something. All I ever get is, "10% off anything you buy the first year". Oh, I actually did get a free 1098 T-shirt, with the dealer's info on the back. Figure it's free advertising for them, they should give a box full for free!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know when I was down in virginia there were at least 2 dealers who would give you a helmet if you were a first time rider. Something like a kbc or hjc. Nothing fancy. And at columbia cycle here in ct, they do it on the occasion.

·
Registered
328 Posts
BBaxR6 said:
I actually saw a sepcial on the Discovery channel on this. The 430 comes with luggage!

CAG

·
Registered
328 Posts
cronn said:
Here is another way to think of it... You get what you pay for right? If your dealer or any other motorbike dealer were to give you a jacket or helmet for free, would you wear it?

I sure wouldn't. Why? Because when it comes to protecting my head and body I wont wear cheap stuff, I try to buy the best money can buy and I'm pretty sure a dealer wont give you a 900 dollar helmet and 899 dollar jacket. They might give you that 150 dollar helmet and 80 dollar Joe squid rocket paper mesh jacket. I say no thanks...

I've had friends, mostly cruiser owners get a free plain jane black helmet. I tell ya I wouldnt wear it if you paid me.

just my two cents... Oh and not to mention you are getting a very exclusive bike, although for how much longer I dunno... but for now its very rare.
Excellent point!

Also don't forget to mention how delighted you are that according to Ducati, the 600 mile service is only one hour and the recommended charge (by Ducati North America) is only $144.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Since i got mine from a dealer about 3 hrs away i tried to get 1st service included... didn't work. then i tried for just some stickers but they didn't have any. best i could do was a key chain and a bad a$$ 1098. when i got my GSXR in 2003 they gave my helmet and jacket to me at cost!!! boy have times changed

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe it never hurts to ask....I have bought a new Ducati and a Suzuki from the dealer I ordered my 1098 from. I sort of expect something when the bike comes in, whether they wave some prep fees, or discount on Termi slip-ons. I figure they will get the service and part add ons. However, they wouldn't lock into a price until the bike came in...

·
Registered
337 Posts
CAG said:
I actually saw a sepcial on the Discovery channel on this. The 430 comes with luggage!

CAG
CAG --- did you see the luggage?? Its custom fitted, all leather, and on the inside, each piece of luggage has the same serial number as the car!

Ferrari started that back with the Mondial. Pretty sweet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, because I work second shift. First off, I paid $24,901 out the door that includes full tremi's kit, tax, title, etc.. So, when I tell my friends what I paid, they feel I should get something thrown in such as a helmet or jacket. Like I said, I don't necessarily feel this way, but I want to know what all of you have done when signing the paperwork. This is my first Ducati purchase, and I know I am getting an exclusive bike. So, asking for extras is kind of invane.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i hounded my dealer which they are used to by now, and got a free Ducati rear stand, and 200 off MSRP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts