Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a D16RR with 5000 mi that has been maintained very well by a dealer. Just curious what kind of maintenance and costs I am looking at for riding it a couple hundred miles at most per year. Any information would be very helpful! Thanks :)

· Registered
477 Posts
After the 600 mile break-in service, the first normally-scheduled maintenance is at 7,500 miles. That includes valve adjustment, and changing hydraulic fluids. If the bike you buy had a service before you buy it, then you won't need to change the oil filter or air filter for many years, but should probably change the oil yearly. You will probably want to replace the tires based on their date codes rather than wear since at only 200 miles per year they will last you more than ten years.

Here's what Ducati says the owner should be capable of doing. If you are incapable of checking these things at the very least, then you should probably reconsider getting a Desmosedici.
At only 200 mi/year, 1000 km/600 miles is not going to happen in less than six months. For you, every six months is when the checks should be made.

I would add to this list: INSPECT the tires for signs of dry-rot and replace as necessary.

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the info. I can handle most maintenance on my own up to valve adjustments, etc. I do all the work on my current bikes :)

On a side note, if anyone is looking to sell their D16RR, I am interested!

· Registered
9 Posts
I am looking at buying a D16RR with 5000 mi that has been maintained very well by a dealer. Just curious what kind of maintenance and costs I am looking at for riding it a couple hundred miles at most per year. Any information would be very helpful! Thanks :)
Hi

I've owned my D16 for 3 years now number169/1500. I purchased mine with 4,250 miles. At 5K miles I had to replace the clutch and the clutch slave for $2K.

At 6K miles on the clock I did a major service. What I haven't been able to ascertain is how many miles are actually on the motor; during prior ownership the motor was replaced under warranty and I can't get the records for when the motor was replaced. The old owner is dead as Dillinger and the old mechanic didn't keep the records. Anyway, it was well worth the ~$4K I spent on the service. According to the dealer, the valves were way out of adjustment. It took a bunch of time to get the work done due to a wait on obtaining valve shims. During that time, I also had the front forks rebuilt and acquired a GP-7 exhaust with full CF fairings.

So outside of hoarding parts, that averages out to be about $2K per year to keep the bike.

I don't recommend a DIY thing. You're paying $60K plus for a very rare motorcycle. IMHO it doesn't pay to be pennywise and pound foolish.

The other upgrades I did was

Purchased and installed a 17" Marchesini magnesium rear wheel - $3,500
Re-booted the tires with Pirelli Super Corsa's and preserved the tires. I also located another Bridgestone front and rear tire in the wrappers - $900
GP-7 exhaust, full CF fairings for the exhaust, and ECU - $8K
Extra Fuel Tank $1,000
Extra CF fairings $3,600
Ducati D16 (NOS) front stand $250 (yes completely unobtainable)

So all in all, I don't regret the money spent on my pride and joy. It took me 61 years to buy it and I hope to have it for 61 more years :)

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for all the info!

Well the special day has come and I have an opportunity to buy the Desmosedici D16RR. It is my dream bike and could use some help from the group.

Here are some of the details:
  • #243/1500
  • 5000mi on the bike
  • GP7 Exhaust and Fairings
  • Front and Rear OEM Stands
  • Stock Bellypan, tail fairing, and exhausts
  • Spare New Carbon BSTs
  • Spare Carbon Race bodywork
  • OEM Owners Manuals
  • Indoor Dust Cover and Case
We have agreed on $60k USD (50k GBP).
  • Thoughts on price?
  • Anything I should lookout for with the mileage?
  • Anything missing from the parts list?
Thanks in advance everyone!

· Registered
9 Posts
Thanks so much for all the info!

Well the special day has come and I have an opportunity to buy the Desmosedici D16RR. It is my dream bike and could use some help from the group.

Here are some of the details:
  • #243/1500
  • 5000mi on the bike
  • GP7 Exhaust and Fairings
  • Front and Rear OEM Stands
  • Stock Bellypan, tail fairing, and exhausts
  • Spare New Carbon BSTs
  • Spare Carbon Race bodywork
  • OEM Owners Manuals
  • Indoor Dust Cover and Case
We have agreed on $60k USD (50k GBP).
  • Thoughts on price?
  • Anything I should lookout for with the mileage?
  • Anything missing from the parts list?
Thanks in advance everyone!
Do you have any pics to share? I think it's a very fair price. As I mentioned in a previous post, Be ready for an "early" 7,500 mile service. It's worth the investment

· Registered
6 Posts
Thats a good price especially with the extras. As far as maintenance, youll want to make sure the clutch and brake fluid have been replaced within two years (common sense fluid should be change every couple years) also Id recommend a coolant flush. Also if it hasnt had the forks and shock serviced, the fluid and seals will need to be replaced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts