Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the 1198S engine would fit in the SportClassic Frame?

I do not need a full titanium build, just the original frame (modified or not to fit the engine--I do like the old engine, but it doesn't have enough grunt imo vs the SBK/SF engine) and added certain touch here and there.

My future project once everything is situated.

It sucks when you have so many ideas but unable to do it due to certain priorities come first :p

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
The structure of the sport classic frame is very similar to the Hypermotard frame Donger, because they share the same engine.

I have successfully completed a 1098 engine install into a 2012 Hypermotard Evo SP and it was definitely not a straight forward swap. There are frame braces that need removing and relocating to make room for the throttle bodies. Only two of the engine mount locations will line up. Plus a whole lot of other small details that will need good experience and equipment to overcome. Also you'll need to 'customise' the injector and manifold setup because the 1098 airbox will not fit and the 1098 injectors are shower mounted in the lid of the airbox. I used the Diavel manifolds and injector setup and with minor modifications it worked very well. The swap will need a custom made rear header pipe also. Then there is the re-routing of wiring for different dash, ECU and battery locations, differing connectors etc, etc.

My conversion has been a great success and is now ready for a trackday outing. I can share the many intricate details with you via email if you PM me a suitable address.

My friends dubbed it the "Insane-O-Tard".... or I-Tard for short.....

Attachments

Reactions: Donger

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks El. Damn I knew it would be troublesome XD

I figured it would require lots of modification to the airbox and engine mount, etc..funny how the older I get, the more attractions the old cafe racers get. I could have bought a used 2006 SC at the dealer back then when I first bought my 848 :(

I might have to go with bigger piston route for the engine then. I will bookmark this link for future usage.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That's one very unique ride El Twin :)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The structure of the sport classic frame is very similar to the Hypermotard frame Donger, because they share the same engine.

I have successfully completed a 1098 engine install into a 2012 Hypermotard Evo SP and it was definitely not a straight forward swap. There are frame braces that need removing and relocating to make room for the throttle bodies. Only two of the engine mount locations will line up. Plus a whole lot of other small details that will need good experience and equipment to overcome. Also you'll need to 'customise' the injector and manifold setup because the 1098 airbox will not fit and the 1098 injectors are shower mounted in the lid of the airbox. I used the Diavel manifolds and injector setup and with minor modifications it worked very well. The swap will need a custom made rear header pipe also. Then there is the re-routing of wiring for different dash, ECU and battery locations, differing connectors etc, etc.

My conversion has been a great success and is now ready for a trackday outing. I can share the many intricate details with you via email if you PM me a suitable address.

My friends dubbed it the "Insane-O-Tard".... or I-Tard for short.....
I am sure will get back with you with this matter once I'm situated.

Thanks El!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
You're welcome Donger. I managed to get just over 110Hp at the wheel from the air cooled 2 valve Evo SP Hyper engine in my road ride with stock pistons/bore/compression and cams. The mods I did were head porting, cam timing, air intake system, custom exhaust and PC5 to sort the fuel. I'm happy to share that info with you also. It's great to ride now but the 4 valver in my project bike has 154Hp at wheel and that's gunna be LOTS of fun!!!

Thanks Proctologist.
Yep, "Unique" is the definitely the right word. It's my own personal expression of what I would like to have seen the factory build. It has tail light and a few other bits on it now..... OEM headlight on the way in the post this week. Still need a RHS fairing and headlight fairing for it. I started with just an engine and a frame 12 months ago...... very low cost build so far. I'm really looking forward to riding it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts