Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this over at Ducati.ms, thought I might have a more targeted audience here :)

Hey there,

Brand new to the board. As soon as the tax return hits my bank, I'm heading down to put a deposit on an 08 1098s, and would like to know what current owners think of them in two specific areas: around town usability and comfort.

I realize those may be odd things to ask about the newest duc superbike, but I can tell from magazine reviews that it's going to do just fine in the primary role that I'll be using it (trackdays) so; How does it handle around town? Anything weird like it roasts your left nut, or the steering lock is atrocious or anything?
Also, what do taller owners think about the riding comfort? I'm 6'4 and certainly not looking for a couch, but just curious if there's some particular qurik ala "murder on the wrists for long distances if you're tall"

Any other insight would be appreciated. I was thinking about asking about reliability, then decided having read through some posts that I realize new models will have some quirks, and some outright lemons, and that I'll probably get a range of answers from "it's flawless to It's the worst mechanical device ever made" so don't see a huge value to it. Unless there have been chronic problems affecting all or most of the 1098's that I will most likely have to deal with.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info you folks can give. For those that are interested, my current bike is an Aprilia Falco, modified much more towards the sport side of the sport/touring equation (ohlins/clipons/rearsets/better brakes, etc), which I love to pieces and will probably regret selling, but there you have it. The 916 came out about 6 months after I got really into bikes, and it's iterations have been my lust objects for years. This year my financial situation, and the looks/performance/price package of the 1098s aligned to allow me to get my dream bike.

Sorry for the long ass first post.

Chris

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome aboard!

It is not an around town bike, unless you mean you are going to be hammering it on the roads that go "around" town!

Seriously, you will be fine in stop and go traffic. You may want to drop a tooth on the front gear depending on your weight. I have no issues with hot spots. When the fans come on, you will feel the hot air on your legs. I have the slip ons and have no issues with underseat heat.

But the bike is not a grocery getter. It is made to run. The faster it goes the happier it is it seems.

CAG

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome!

I've ridden around town only a few times, and while it's not as comfortable doing so as my R1, it's still tolerable. I dropped a tooth in the front to help with this, and top speed isn't really something occupying my mind.

I'm 6'1" and think it's very comfortable. The strecthed tank is a pleasure cause my legs fit in quite easily. It's also very narrow, so your legs don't jet out like on a Gixxer.

Other than that, I'm just getting used to riding a Duc again. I had an '01 996, then three R1s in between. So I need to adapt my riding again to get the most out of this beauty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Madracer said:
Keep the Falco for the town and ride the 1098 as fast as you can!! Enjoy!!
haha I wish I could, because I love the falco, but it's not really possible. Plus the Falco sucks around town, since I put very low clipons and high rearsets. Plus it gets very hot on the thighs when idling. Like I said, it's not a primary concern (I do most of my riding on the track nowadays) but I was just curious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm average height at 5'10. All of my riding has been around town and a couple of local backroads. I intentionally limited myself to local stuff during the break-in. Aside from frequent stalling, my 1098s is reasonably comfortable for a full blown sport bike and very well mannered for around town. I found my 1098S to be more comfortable off the showroom floor than my 800SS and Monster. Within the past couple of weeks temperatures have hit the upper 70's in the Bay area. I felt the heat radiating off of the heat shield during stop and go traffic so your left nut should be safe. Your right thigh is another story if you place it too close to the shield. I plan on taking to the open roads of California after the 600 mile service this weekend.

Go for it and enjoy the best!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts