Ducati.org forum banner

Questions on radiator and Battery

957 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Spudd 
#1 ·
Well, I finally made it to a track day just to have my radiator spring a leak on the second session of the day. Does Ducati still replace these? My bike is a 2008 1098S.

Second question: I run a Shorai Batt and it seems to have a problem. When I returned home, I tried to start the bike but it didn't turn over. I checked the Batt voltage and it read 14.5! So what is going on here? Is it the Batt or the VR?
Literally, everything came on but nothing at the starter, so I plugged it in to my 916 and she wouldn't budge either.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Our national distributor was still replacing radiators FOC last time I heard, but only if you bought the bike new.
Not sure whether things are different over there, but that is how I would approach a warranty request.
As to the Shorai battery? It sounds like some sort of failure - perhaps something got left on after your sessions?
A night on the Shorai charger should sort it. I wouldn't use a normal trickle charger on it, in case you want to make a warranty claim on it subsequently.
If you don't have one, maybe try asking members in your vicinity if you could utilise theirs?
If it doesn't come good after a charge then you should pursue it through the seller.
Sorry to hear you had these problems after your track day. Hopefully you had a lot of fun before the troubles started..

#3 ·
I did have fun, Pat! My bike was hauling ass as usual! As for the Batt question, I'm a little confused as the voltage reads well over 14, but has no punch for the start...I've always noticed that my 1098 charges it over 14v and my 916 charges it below. I've been reading about the Lithium vs Lead Acid Batts and wondering if this is a failure of the Lithium style Batt...

#4 ·
This could be one of the issues with Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. When cold, they can display the proper voltage, but have very little current (amperage). Sometimes ya gotta physically warm them up in order to get them working. If you do a google search, you will find complaint upon complaint about Shorai's not working after over-night coldness. So perhaps its that simple?

The cells are in parallel, so if one or two of them failed, the voltage would be the same, but the current would be low.

#5 ·
Thanks, Pat. I took it to a reputable moto shop and the man is recharging it as we speak. If it comes back, I need to buy a Shorai charger for sure. Also, I have read some of your comments regarding repairing the 1098 radiator and it sounds like you are thumbs down on that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.