Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone where I can find some quick release fasteners that will replace all those allen bolts on the fairings that come loose. I've lost two already, and I don't want to spend 2 hours every time I take my fairings off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not sure if it's true but I heard Ducati Performance was planning on a quick release fairing kit. I've been waiting for that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Antigravityman79 said:
Does anyone where I can find some quick release fasteners that will replace all those allen bolts on the fairings that come loose. I've lost two already, and I don't want to spend 2 hours every time I take my fairings off.
I lost one shortly after I picked my bike up. It's covered under the warranty, but that does not help you much right now. I would also like to get Q/R fastners!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is there a specific type for different bikes? I found these though not sure what all is needed for the mod? It's just the d-ring pin and a metal tab to mount to the plastics right?

·
Registered
166 Posts
kumacrz said:
Is there a specific type for different bikes? I found these though not sure what all is needed for the mod? It's just the d-ring pin and a metal tab to mount to the plastics right?
I have extra zues fasteners and retaining clips so I tried a while back. The problem is that the holes in the mounting tabs on the frame are smaller than typical (say 916). Now obviously they could be drilled out a bit and it looks like it would be a fairly easy conversion. I held off for two reasons; I wanted to see what DP came up with & I wasn't prepared to do the paint touch-up on the tabs after they were drilled out and I didn't want to leave bare metal exposed. So, I'm waiting :(

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
guys,

i'm currently having my 1098 converted to dzus 1/4 turn fasteners. Since Dzus fasteners are available in all sizes, no drilling is necessary. i'm going w/ "D" clips, but Dzus also makes wing clip, oval head and flush head, available in either SS or Cad, whatever your preference.

There are lots of suppliers. i use:

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co.

Their website is:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com

When you get to the home page, click on "Hardware", and then again on "Fasteners". Then comes the fun part: Measuring to get the right size. This is a bit tricky. The website has a helpful diagram that shows you the three different measurement you have to make, (stud length, diameter, and distance from the back of the head to the dzus groove), but in the end, the differences between studs is pretty small. w/ my 907 i got it wrong a few times before i got it right. and to make matters more complicated, not all the studs on the 907 are the same length. one size does not fit all fastener points! i'm not sure if this is true on the 1098 also but i wouldn't be surprised. i'd make sure before i ordered. or do what i'm doing: leave it to the experts.

Their rates are very reasonable and shipping is inexpensive. No minimum order required. They're very helpful. They seem to get a kick out of sport bikers buying airplane stuff from them. You can call them at tollfree, (USA only), at:

(877) 477-7823.

The tricky part is attaching the fastener to the backside of the fairing. you can do it yourself but i'm having the dealership do it.

Elton

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
mrinflux,
How do you keep the female half on the back side of the body work? Or do you have to fumble with both pieces every time you take a panel off?

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
Ten-6

no, the backside is attached to the inside of the fairing wall. I think w/ rivets, but i'm not sure. if done properly there is no evidence of this on the outside. don't ask me how; i don't know. that's why i'm having the pros do this. all i know is that on my 907ie w/ the oval head dzus fasteners there is no indication whatsoever at any of the fastener points that the Dzus bracket was attached in the rear. however it was done, no through-hole was created on the plastic.

if you want to go it yourself call the guys at Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. they'll walk u through it.

Elton

1 - 8 of 8 Posts