Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i have seen threads on this in the past, but i have narrowed down my situation pretty specifically.

As others have mentioned, they had issues with the quick shift on the 848 corse spitting back into neutral. Pretty sure the common theme was "shift like you mean it" but i know thats not the problem in my case.

For some reason, whenever i quick shift into 2nd from 1st, a few seconds later it will "spit" out of 2nd into neutral making me slam the rev limiter (and also almost crash a few times).

This does not happen on any of the other gears.

Also, when i shift out of neutral,i get a very loud THUMP when it slams back into first gear. (dont think i have been in a position where i tried to shift up into 3rd after it happens).

So... any ideas why it only happens with 2nd gear and not the rest? Getting tired of having to clutch into 2nd before i can quick shift without fear i'm going to slip out of gear and potentially crash.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had two dealers, the final being a well known reputable one, look at this same issue while the bike was under warranty. The final dealer found no issues and after some research came back and said it's not really meant for second shifts. They were advised that if it was used to do it over 8k rpm and wide open.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had a similar issue but it happened in other gears randomly as well. Turns out I forgot to set my chain tension after replacing it. It was a bit loose and I would hit false neutrals even if i was using the clutch to shift. It would happen occasionally with my bazzaz qs because the delay was set too long.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
910 Posts
IMO this is the result of using quickshifters.

not arguing with you, but I have had a Q/S on my Honda for 22 years with no issues, and have thousands of track miles on it. I think its more from ham fisted shifts, with the 1-2 shift being the hardest due to have more rotation on the shift drum going through neutral.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not arguing with you, but I have had a Q/S on my Honda for 22 years with no issues, and have thousands of track miles on it. I think its more from ham fisted shifts, with the 1-2 shift being the hardest due to have more rotation on the shift drum going through neutral.

Maybe this is what the cause is....

I always try to be pinning it when QSing, i would never try to slowly hop from 1st to 2nd (or any other gear for that matter).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.