Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm looking for some advice on what I could do to really wake up my 08 hypermotard 1100. I've read where some have cored there exhaust. Would race cams be a good investment? Any help would be appreciated thks Kevin

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hi. I'm looking for some advice on what I could do to really wake up my 08 hypermotard 1100. I've read where some have cored there exhaust. Would race cams be a good investment? Any help would be appreciated thks Kevin
Yea, the Corse kit cam's are absolutely amazing! Without having to add compression (decreasing squish), increasing bore (very popular mod) or fuel changes, the cam's are throw-in and they will give you upwards of 10hp at the top end without loosing the bottom. Of course the single pipe exhaust is worth every penny. Coring the stock exhaust isn't going to help much because the aftermarket exhaust is actually a different diameter pipe and it doesn't have the cat, so there's a lot to gain. I've done BOTH mod's on a friends bike, WITH a Nemesis ECU and we got 101rwhp out of it with 82lb torque, which is about 12 more horsepower over stock.

Ducati use to sell the cam's years ago, I'm not sure if they were special order or what, but they're kinda hard to find. Commoto seems to have a way to get them, so check out this link: Ducati 1000/1100 DS Racing Camshaft Horizontal

Of course, NCR makes their own grind, which is pretty amazing, but expensive. They charge $1200 USD shipped, which is double what Commoto sells their's for.

Here is the catalog: NCR S.r.l. - SPECIAL PARTS

You'll find them under the 2 valve engine section. Ohh and there are LOTS of other parts there. Shit you'll absolutely want… just be careful because it's a dangerous and slippery slope! I've seen 1100's with bore kits produce 125rwhp!

The exhaust is an ebay thing. People part crashed HM's all the time and it should be easy to find a few of those Termi exhausts on ebay. You can identify them easily because they they have one silencer instead of two. New, they're grossly expensive, especially since it's an older bike.

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
^^^ who has owned and raced Ducati air cooled twins?

This guy has.......just sayin....

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle racer Race track

Home Page

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
"tooned time" coming up.....just sayin.....
:laughing::laughing: 7 minutes later!!! Awesome...which means he was already typing as you posted that...how did you know though?? Surely you guys aren't roommates or something? :p

Reactions: ANORXIC'51 and 219R

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Ah, first,........ "you must unlearn what you have learned"........just sayin....:shrug: :)

Reactions: ANORXIC'51

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Going internal on the engine for extra performance? ..

I'd stick with the common bolt-on upgrades, just my $0.02

Don't underestimate the value of software tuning, sprockets, and exhaust systems.

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Get some slip on exhaust and a DP ecu or have your ecu re-flashed. This will guarantee to wake the bike up! New sprockets will also wake the bike up depending on what kind of riding you do with it.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Still absolutely floored by the timing between Bob's post and Tye, lol.

That. Was. Awesome.
It actually happens all the time :yo:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I ordered the NCR cams so now I need to either reflash or replace the ecu as suggested. I'm curious do most gear up or down when changing sprockets? I really like the look of the stock exhaust was hoping coring it out would work but may not from what info I'm getting . I'm taking my bike to Halls cycle in Springfield Illinois has anyone heard of any good or bad experiences with them ? Thks for the continued input. Kevin

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I ordered the NCR cams so now I need to either reflash or replace the ecu as suggested.
This is correct.. you should ask the manufacture who or what software they recommend.

You can (+) or (-) teeth from your front or rear sprockets to alter gear leverage.

A&R makes an exhaust upgrade for the OEM Ducati system on the 848/1X98.

Not sure if there is something available for other Ducati applications.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I ordered the NCR cams so now I need to either reflash or replace the ecu as suggested. I'm curious do most gear up or down when changing sprockets? I really like the look of the stock exhaust was hoping coring it out would work but may not from what info I'm getting . I'm taking my bike to Halls cycle in Springfield Illinois has anyone heard of any good or bad experiences with them ? Thks for the continued input. Kevin
The cam's specifically don't really need a change in fuel map. However, the exhaust AND cam's together will need some reworking.

In terms of sprockets, your bike's stock sprockets are 15/42. Most people put a 14 front sprocket on and are impressed with the outcome. This basically means, you're adding ALMOST 3 teeth to the rear sprocket. It's a cheap upgrade and if you don't like it for whatever reason, you can always go back very quickly. The 15/42 was always a problematic sprocket combo, designed for top speed, rather then practicality around town.

Call up motowheels and discuss the mapping issues with them. I have a feeling they have a solution for the map or can lead you to the right place. All you'd need to do is send them the ECU and they'd flash it for ya. Then the only thing your local dealer needs to do is throw the cam's in and time them properly. Any decent mechanic should be able to achieve that, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Well Sir, if it was my motor, and I was installing new cams from NCR, or anyone, for that matter,
I would have someone do the install that was capable of measuring the lift and duration of the cams, installed in the motor, could check the valve to piston clearances during the full rotation of the motor... cams are all about valve lift, and how long they stay in open position. (duration).. in addition, I would have have someone doing the work who had a dyno, and was familiar with tuning the fuel/air mixtures throughout the rev range.... usually cams are designed for specific throttle bodies and exhaust sizes an shapes. The whole purpose of different camshafts is to optimize the fuel/air amounts to increase horsepower thru better flow/flow rate, both on the intake and exhaust strokes. Dyno tuning and engine tuning go hand in hand, as well as the capability to adjust the fuel/air mixture from the ECU... a very complicated scenario, a task best left to professional tuners with decades of experience.... not left to the posting of internet experts who don't know their ass from a whole in the wall.... just sayin,,,,

Reactions: Aussie_Bob
1 - 20 of 35 Posts