Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my 2009 1198S about a week ago and was informed of a small oil leak possibly coming from a torn gasket. The leak presents itself just inside the left fairing opening. I stripped the bike this evening and noticed that the leak was not in fact oil but coolant, this was figured due to the sweet smell coming from the bike as well as a unusually high raising of temperature when the bike idled. While the bike was stripped and set idling upon reaching 200 degrees *F the top left of the radiator (as you are sitting on the bike) started to leak slowly but enough to cause a problem.

I started to check the forums and found a few posts all over a year ago about individuals with similar problems in the same location. A lot of people just used the warranty and had the radiator replaced, my bikes warranty has been up for 3 months now and I would rather not spend $948.99 on a new radiator. I did hear a few people talk about using epoxy to seal the leak in the radiator but I think that that fix would only work for a month or so due to the high amount of pressure mixed with the heat.

If anyone has used this method and had success or failure id be happy to hear about it. Also any other possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Tric

·
Banned
9,495 Posts
I have used JB weld epoxy on a Speed 4 Triumph in 08, and its still holding.

We had a 1/4" hole, so it took a few aplacsion to fill it.

Oh, 200 deg is not hot for this bike. You have to get used to it. May want to wrap your exhaust pipes and insulate under your seat.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I just purchased my 2009 1198S about a week ago and was informed of a small oil leak possibly coming from a torn gasket. The leak presents itself just inside the left fairing opening. I stripped the bike this evening and noticed that the leak was not in fact oil but coolant, this was figured due to the sweet smell coming from the bike as well as a unusually high raising of temperature when the bike idled. While the bike was stripped and set idling upon reaching 200 degrees *F the top left of the radiator (as you are sitting on the bike) started to leak slowly but enough to cause a problem.

I started to check the forums and found a few posts all over a year ago about individuals with similar problems in the same location. A lot of people just used the warranty and had the radiator replaced, my bikes warranty has been up for 3 months now and I would rather not spend $948.99 on a new radiator. I did hear a few people talk about using epoxy to seal the leak in the radiator but I think that that fix would only work for a month or so due to the high amount of pressure mixed with the heat.

If anyone has used this method and had success or failure id be happy to hear about it. Also any other possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Have you tried to take it to the dealer? They may fix it under warrenty still, due to the fact that Ducati is know to have this issue. Tell them it is hazardous, and your safety while riding is being jeprodized due to coolant possibly getting on your tires. Be stern, and don't back down. You will most likely get your way. If not JB weld like Sim said, or take it to a radiator shop and they can patch the hole for cheap.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You may still be able to get your warranty extended. My friend did, and hers was expired by 3 weeks. In the future, I highly recommend always having a warranty on any Italian motorcycle or car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i had a radiator shop use epoxy on mine.he said the epoxy was made for radiators.no problems since.i saw on one of the ducati forums a 848 radiator for $265.good price, but it will leak too in a few years just get yours fixed. ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
radiator leak

i had the same problem on my 848 as did my Buddie on his 1098 and our warranty was up as well.The dealer contacted Ducati and they said they would replace it cause of the recall they have.mine was leaking in the upper left corner between the fins,started out small and just grew a little.oh and they did charge me for coolant and labor.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My '08 848 radiator sprung the infamous leak just this past weekend. I've been well out of my warranty period. Called my dealer and was able to get a "Good Will" warranty replacement authorized from Ducati. Took one day to get a response. I just have to pay for labor. Radiator is in stock and should get it in a week. I decided to also put on some Red DP Silicone Coolant hoses when it gets replaced (Got'em from Nick @ Motowheel. Smokin' deal!).

Call your local dealer. You never know what you might get!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Called the dealer warranty is up and they wont touch it due to the upgrades. Tried to seal it with JB Weld but that didn't work. Also took it to a radiator shop they said that the hole was miniscule but in the copper tubing. I ended up having to purchase a new one on ebay for $849. Not much cheaper but 100 less spent just gets me billet plugs ;-)

Thanks for the replies though guys.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Called the dealer warranty is up and they wont touch it due to the upgrades. Tried to seal it with JB Weld but that didn't work. Also took it to a radiator shop they said that the hole was miniscule but in the copper tubing. I ended up having to purchase a new one on ebay for $849. Not much cheaper but 100 less spent just gets me billet plugs ;-)

Thanks for the replies though guys.

You got screwed on that deal man. The radiator is a known design flaw. Should have been covered. What kind of mods on the bike?

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
You got screwed on that deal man. The radiator is a known design flaw. Should have been covered. What kind of mods on the bike?
+100 If my rad ever goes out after warrenty, I'm taking it all the way to Ducati NA if I have to. I will NOT take "Oh it's out of warrenty on a flawed/poorly designed radiator" for an answer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My '08 848 radiator sprung the infamous leak just this past weekend. I've been well out of my warranty period. Called my dealer and was able to get a "Good Will" warranty replacement authorized from Ducati. Took one day to get a response. I just have to pay for labor. Radiator is in stock and should get it in a week. I decided to also put on some Red DP Silicone Coolant hoses when it gets replaced (Got'em from Nick @ Motowheel. Smokin' deal!).

Call your local dealer. You never know what you might get!

+1, I was treated to the same "Good Will" replacement. Ducati NA covered the parts, I only paid labor. Better than nothing....

·
Registered
880 Posts
Aftermarket parts should not affect any warranty claim ( or in this case, an out of warranty but known problem, claim) unless they directly attributed to the problem.

·
Registered
677 Posts
ditto to all that has been said before

also had a warrenty claim out of warrenty because it was a known issue with the radiator, was fixed the same way, a replacement and I paid for labour.

think that you should take this to Ducati NA

worth a dozen or so emails

·
Registered
13 Posts
HI, Had the same problem on my '09 848... got it replaced with a new radiator... under warranty... Ducati has had several issues with this... but they are aware of the problem so they should fix it for you with no cost... if it's still under warranty period, and it should be... 2 years warranty... the problem might be if the workshop/dealer does not have a new raditor on stock... then u can risk to wait a bit of time for them to get a new for you... but they can fix it with silicone until you can get a new one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How does Ducati justify ~$1000 for a radiator? There has to be a way to source a better radiator for the same money (or less!). I've read innumerable mentions of radiator leaks and tank swelling in my short time on this forum. I will probably upgrade to an aluminum or carbon tank, eventually, but does anyone know of a source for an improved radiator on a 1098/1198?

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1, I was treated to the same "Good Will" replacement. Ducati NA covered the parts, I only paid labor. Better than nothing....
Yeah, no doubt! My dealer is just a super small Ducati shop and he's awesome! I'm ok with paying for the labor.

This is just a cheaper way for Ducati to get away with the issue without blowing it up to a "recall." They'll just replace the radiators as they come. I'd rather see them flip the bill for the entire thing. But something is better than nothing! I was happy to avoid the $1000 tab. Now, I'll just cross my fingers and hope this new one holds up a little longer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 848 radiator leak. My local dealers' responses.

Got the upper left radiator leak. Called my 3 nearest dealer service departments. None of them had heard of the problem, or maybe they just wouldn't acknowledge it as a problem. :rolleyes:

One said it would take 10 days or more to get a response from Ducati, after I brought the bike in.

One said he had never heard of any Ducati NA "good will".

One said they would need to (1) inspect the bike for $55, (2) photograph the problem, (3) send the issue in to Ducati NA for a response.

One said the part costs $1,200.

One said they could repair it for $600-$700.

The dealers are: Beverly Hills Ducati, Del Amo Motorsports and Pro Italia in Glendale. You can figure out which said what.

I only wish at least one of them was familiar with the problem, or had a reasonable solution much like the other dealers in this forum seem to offer. :cross:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts