Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Submit Your Real World Wrist Reviews, Please?

To all Superleggera owners::moped:
Please consider posting your detailed experiences with the SL? We've all reviewed the merchantile fluff in anticipation of procurements. It's Mr.Ed's turn to speak! (^B

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Dirck

Ok I will start.

Had the Superleggera for 3 weeks now and starting to get a feel for the bike and some of its good points and some of the small snags so happy to share.

My comparison will mostly be against the Desmosedici as that is what I ride most frequently.

Firstly the riding position is significantly different. It "feels" like my feet are much further back on the bike but for me at 6 foot+ it is still a comfortable position even after several hours riding (unlike the Desmo)

Wrists etc for me have been fine. If anything the SL is less harsh than the Desmo, my left hand in particular gets less of a work out because of the quick shifter and the brakes seem to require less lever pull than the Desmo.

What surprised me was the heat through my seat unit again being a Desmo owner with the race exhaust I have asbestos buns and inner thighs I wasn't expecting this with the SL and I guess I just have to live with it.

Although still officially during the break in period I am pushing the bike on and above 7k revs it is bonkers fast faster than anything I have ever ridden including a few race bikes.

You can really feel the difference in the weight now this could be either the reduction in weight or the fact some of it has been placed lower down eg the exhausts, or a clever combination of both factors. Either way there is a real sense of lightness and the associated manoeuvrability associated with this. Several times I have pitched the bike in too aggressively forgetting about this and had to adjust accordingly.

The tyres are different class they really show the difference between what is on the SL and what the Desmo has so much so I am buying a 17 rear and buying Supercorsas for the Desmo, I can't overstate the confidence I have in the SL rubber it is the biggest surprise for me.

The electronic support systems take some getting used to, the Desmo has nothing and it took me a while to get used to the levels I needed to select to "stop" the SL intervening with my preferred riding style.

Out of the box settings in Sports mode which I use for the road needed tweaking. The engine braking control in particular took a while for me to find my optimal setting. I was finding even with it turned down it was scrubbing off too much speed pre corner but I am now happy with it 2 from the lowest setting.

Anti wheelie is a god send!!! With it turned down she will left her head in every gear up to 5th gear, great for showing off, not great when you pin the throttle back for an overtake of several cars then realise you are giving them a free demo of how to preserve the front rubber!!

Ok some snags she is lumpy down low even when warmed up. Now coming from a Desmo owner believe me we are used to this and this surprised me I suspect she is mapped rich and we suffer because of this.

There is also a slight dip in power between 70-100 mph which is confirmed by the dyno chart in my post here:

http://www.ducati.org/forums/media/59593-my-superleggera-dyno.html

We managed 192 atw bhp stock and are working on improving the drive ability down low as well as trying to recover that flat spot with progress to follow.

The quick shifter has a few gremlins 4th to 5th gear changes have been missed a few times basically it appears that this is an area where you just need to be firm with your foot and is probably just as a result of the gearbox being at maximum stress at this sort of speed/rpm.

To summarise it is much quicker than I ever imagined, stock it puts out exactly the same power as my local garages highly played with 1098R race bike and is probably lighter as well, it can be used every day although round town she complains a little, get out into the countryside and up above 7k rpm and it all makes perfect sense and you find yourself doing speeds that will send you straight to jail.

It is amazing what 6 years development between the Desmo and SL has produced, I dread to think what is achievable in another 6 years?

I am very lucky I have the choice of a Desmo or the SL and I never thought I would say this because I am a Desmo fan boy of the highest order but the SL wins hands down in EVERY department!!!

Analogue versus digital is the best way to compare them!!

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Awesome write-up Scott ..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great write up! I am truly envious...

To summarise it is much quicker than I ever imagined, stock it puts out exactly the same power as my local garages highly played with 1098R race bike and is probably lighter as well...

It is amazing what 6 years development between the Desmo and SL has produced, I dread to think what is achievable in another 6 years?
As an 1098R owner, I have to ask what your local garage did to their 1098R to get comparable performance to the Superleggera?

I may be envious but I think I am holding out for a Superleggera L4 with a straight, positively sloped torque curve, that revs high enough to pump out +230HP.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great write up! I am truly envious...

As an 1098R owner, I have to ask what your local garage did to their 1098R to get comparable performance to the Superleggera?

I may be envious but I think I am holding out for a Superleggera L4 with a straight, positively sloped torque curve, that revs high enough to pump out +230HP.
I will ask them for a breakdown of the mods. They may not disclose the full details as they race in a competitive series with it.

I saw the dyno same one which did my bike exactly the same bhp.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great virtual testride!

Thanks Scotty and Toti!
Cannot hear enough firsthand and hoping for ongoing insight.
Longterm ergo impact, slipstream pocket sufficiency, performance, snags, etc...
Is down-low snatch from the hole overcome with up-reving a feathery clutch?

Heat taming predominates as perpetual saddletime will ensue upon possession. Wrapping = 'Ti toast' and fugly. Been reading about HPC and Thermal Tech internal (only) ceramicoating successes with Ti headers/pipes. No subsequent flaking to foul catalyzer comb. No anticipated performance detriment and cooler lump reports on abstract vehicles. Media blasting preps factory run-in sooted pipes adequately.

Knowledge share greatly appreciated!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts