Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've gotta get the rear wheel off my 848 and I hear that specialty sockets are the way to go, especially since the nut itself is susceptible to damage using an ordinary joey-shmoey socket. I'm wondering if I should go for a 12pt socket, such as this one:

SPEEDYMOTO Ducati 748-998, S*R/4RS, HM, 848, Mhe, MTS, M1100 Wheel/Axle Nut Socket

or a 6pt socket, such as this one:

STEEL Ducati 41mm/46mm wheel nut socket

I'm inclined to think a 6pt would be better, but the only 6pt socket I've seen is the one I posted above from motomfg, leading me to think that 12pts are preferred. Moreover, it appears that I'd need an extender to be able to fasten that 6pt socket to my breaker bar, as the center hole is pretty deep inside the socket.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
get speedymoto, you can use both side as one socket, is motomfg is in business?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm inclined to pick up that motomanufacturing one. I have the speedymoto and the depth of the socket isn't sufficient to fully seat onto the axle nut. It's manageable but you need to be careful as it easily slips off.. The material of the socket is also a tad bit softer than the nut itself, evidenced by the wear and tear I can see on mine from just one wheel removal project so when it slips off it takes one of the 12 points with it sometimes. If they'd have just made the socket just 3-5mm deeper it would be perfect. When your trying to get that sucker tightened to 230 Nm it can be really touch and go...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I use a Craftsman 3/4 drive standard (not metric) socket and I have yet to damage anything.

Before you start flaming:
Once you get that large metric and standard are the same sizes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just to give an update -- I picked up the motomfg 6pt steel socket from Monster Parts: Ducati Monster Parts and Accesories. I tried getting the nut off using an (admittedly, short) breaker bar and having my wife sit on the bike applying both front and rear brakes. The nut didn't move at all. So I used a 300 ft-lb capacity impact wrench (Ridgid) and after about 10 seconds that thing came off. Part of the reason I got the 6pt socket was I knew I might need to use an impact wrench, so I'd want maximum contact. I took a look at both the nut and socket once I got the wheel off and both seem fine.

Now I'm on to trying to extract a sheared screw underneath the swingarm -_-

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried getting the nut off using an (admittedly, short) breaker bar and having my wife sit on the bike applying both front and rear brakes. /QUOTE]

Why the front brakes?
I had the bike on the ground, and so my thinking was that I was putting so much force into taking that nut off I didn't want to rely solely on the rear brake to prevent the bike from moving back and potentially falling over, especially since I didn't want to push the rear brake lever too hard. Likewise, since the bike was on the ground, engaging the front brake adds extra stoppage to make sure the bike (and hence the rear wheel) don't move.

In the end it was all moot because I wound up buying an impact wrench and using that :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.