Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can one of you guys please take a couple measurents for me? First the distance between your rear rotor and rear brake bracket. Second measure from the rotor to the bracket retaining pin. I just did the mod to relocate the pin and it looks super close to the rotor.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hey Monster, I saw your post in my other thread mentioning that you completed this mod... I went out to measure mine but as you know it's impossible to get to with the rear wheel on. I can measure the next time it's off, but in the meantime I reviewed my last video and took this snapshot of the pin in its stock position. It's close.

Did you drill exactly in to the center of the pilot hole that was there from the factory? If you did that and tapped it deep enough and the base of the pin is flush against the swingarm (torqued to 33nm, actually), you should be fine. After completing this mod myself recently, I took my 848 to the track for a full day of riding and experienced absolutely no problems.

You should be fine...

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response Charles. Yes, I drilled right where the pilot hole is. If you look closley there is a small lip there, which makes the pin sit slightly higher than the original location. In hindsight I should have grinded this down first to make it level with the original.
It just looks so close, I can barely fit a utility razor blade between there. I guess these rotors don't expand when hot?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well, that could be a little too close then, if you can barely get a razor in there.

A buddy drilled and tapped mine, but you can see by clicking on this pic before I put the pin back in, that he did some grinding as well. Mine may not be completely 100% flush, but it's close.

Hey look at this way: You get to practice taking off and reinstalling that damned snap ring again!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Unfortunately where you filed the pin it will rust, as you will have taken off the zinc plating. But it's not a biggie, and you have the clearance you need.

For others doing this mod - if the surface is uneven where you are re-tapping the pin hole, you can use a spigot drill in the hole (before it is threaded) to create a level face for the pin to bottom against.

You can either make a spigot drill by grinding an old bit, or maybe borrow one from your friendly local engineer.

You know - the bloke who doesn't mind lending handmade drill bits..

;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts