Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning the bike for a year and riding it 4k miles(12k total on the bike), I am spending this winter overhauling everything to make sure it is tip top for this season. I have removed and cleaned my swingarm, eccentric, axle, etc. The axle was a bit of a pain to get out as it was seized and required a few good knocks to get it out. I plan to regrease this and the eccentric with waterproof synthetic marine grease.

I was wondering what everyone does to maintain the roller bearing and the double row ball race. Should i just try to pack marine grease in there to make sure it's well lubed? As i understand, replacement bearings are not sold by Ducati and are hard to find. I believe mine is still fine but I want to get the most life out of it before i replace it with either a used eccentric or try to source bearings.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I've used a variety of greases, but you need to use a waterproof grease. I kinda like the Maxima waterproof grease, it's easy to get at a local dealership and works very well. I'd simply clean the bearings up with a degreaser and pack the living crap out of them with the grease. Other then that, the rear eccentric bearings should last the life of the bike, they're really bullet proof.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used a variety of greases, but you need to use a waterproof grease. I kinda like the Maxima waterproof grease, it's easy to get at a local dealership and works very well. I'd simply clean the bearings up with a degreaser and pack the living crap out of them with the grease. Other then that, the rear eccentric bearings should last the life of the bike, they're really bullet proof.

Ok thanks. Yeah i did a little more research after posting and saw a diy replacement on a 749 i believe it was. after 20k+ miles the bearings still looked brand new. After cleaning mine up it looks like the double row ball race is a sealed design so i'm not sure packing it will do anything. the needle bearing i can press the grease in through the rollers.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Ok thanks. Yeah i did a little more research after posting and saw a diy replacement on a 749 i believe it was. after 20k+ miles the bearings still looked brand new. After cleaning mine up it looks like the double row ball race is a sealed design so i'm not sure packing it will do anything. the needle bearing i can press the grease in through the rollers.

Yep, sealed bearings are hard to "pack the living crap"!!!...just sayin...
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, sealed bearings are hard to "pack the living crap"!!!...just sayin...
:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Yeah i don't want to damage the seal by trying to force grease in. I'll just grease the needle bearing and the inner races. Thanks

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yeah i don't want to damage the seal by trying to force grease in. I'll just grease the needle bearing and the inner races. Thanks
That's right, it's just the needle bearing side you need to worry about anyway. The other side is totally sealed, so why any one would assume you'd put grease there is beyond my belief. Also, don't forget to grease the outside of the hub itself where it mates with the swing arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts