Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time trying to remove my rear tire and the nut doesn't even want to budge. I tried pb-blaster, torching the inside of the hub where the threads are, a huge breaker bar the thing just won't even move 1mm! Anyone have any tips? The tires are from 2011 so I'm guessing that's the last time this hub nut was off. I'm trying to bring my wheels to a shop to get new tires on but im at a loss on how to remove this nut. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And yes the retaining lock was removed lol...

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
They can bind up sometimes. I had that problem a couple of times with mine as well. Last time I even had the bike strapped on my trailer so it won't move with the bike in gear and I used literally a 6-7' cheater bar and it ended up just spinning the wheel and the engine! I found out the only thing that really works (and also the easiest) is a good high-power impact! Mine's a 300 ft-lb impact and it still wasn't good enough. Had to borrow a heavy duty one.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Heat the nut not the hub. Hit the inside of the hub with brake cleaner to cool it one you got the nut hot with a butane or propane torch. Obviously have the torch of before spraying a flammable chemical. You want the net to expand and the hub to shrink. Then it should release.

Repeated rounds of heat and liquid wrench also help.

On reinstallation make sure you clean everything off with fine grade steel wool, then use a good antiseize compound.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys I guess I need a bigger cheater or impact I was just scared to use more force and something break cause I couldn't fathom putting that must force on it but I guess everyone does it.

a new set of tires every 5 years!
I go through a set a year! Lol I guess the previous owner got tires than put it away.
Heat the nut not the hub.
I tried but the heat gets too close outside the nut I have bst carbon wheels and don't wanna mess em up.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
High heat and composite wheels don't mix well! That method may work well with aluminum wheels, but I would definitely not attempt to heat up the nut with an open flame when you have carbon wheels.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
I hate to state the obvious
And don't be offended
But you know it's a left hand thread right.
No? Everything I read and watched stated it's right hand thread? Righty tighty lefty loosey.
I was a little confused by his statement. It is NOT a reverse thread. Your are correct clockwise to tighten, counter clockwise to loosen.

You should not need any heat a very long bar or impact gun.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
All good advice - well, mostly..

Only old Dodge/Chrysler vehicles had the LH threads on the wheels on one side as far as I am aware.

(I drove a Dodge truck for a job many years ago, and have a vivid memory of a very big man with a very long bar breaking off a wheel stud for me..)!

But the heavy-duty impact gun is the tool, as others have found. That will 'percuss' the nut rotationally, and loosen it with a minimum of load being transmitted through the drive train.

You are undertaking a very delicate process to do this with the costly BST wheels. You won't have the luxury of locking a wheel spoke to hold the wheel.

It may be worth paying someone with expertise and equipment to get this done. Maybe the wheel could be locked in the mount on an 'up-and-down bench' to hold it. They only grip the tyre.

The other tip is a 55mm socket which has had the chamfered 'lead-in' machined off, so the socket has a full engagement with the narrow nut.

Good luck with it. And yes - anti-seize grease on reassembly..

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
No worries. My car knowledge is severely limited by a profound lack of interest..

I love motorcycles but I only drive a car when I have to.

Presumably a measure to make sure they didn't loosen in service due to their direction of rotation, but it doesn't seem like it was necessary.

OK. Back to the bikes!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.