Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems finding a rear hugger to fit my 999R.
Its a 2004 with the black aluminum version.
I have bought one for it but the holes don't match up.
The previous owner had the same issue, as I saw it noted on a service receipt.
Can you drill holes in the swing arm to accomodate the hugger, or is it best to seek out other versions until one fits?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Post a picture of your swingarm and hugger. You might have the wrong one. Pre '05 have the cast style swingarm, unless yours has been upgraded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine

I bought the Ducati Performance rear hugger, which is a shorter version. I had taken it to Vancouver Ducati and they said that in addition to having to take the rear tire off to fit the right side of it, they couldn't fit it properly, as it rubbed to close to the tire. They fortunately did not charge me and I went home thinking I spent 175.00 on a hugger that is suppose to fit, but does not.
I then took it in to Ducati Richmond. They too had to remove the rear tire, but said they had seen similar problems with huggers with the black swingarm. They added a few risers and made it fit perfect. Barely charged me for it as I was putting on some new Supercorsa's. So if you take it in, tell them to add some risers to compensate for the lopsided fit. I have saw other 999R's with that exact hugger.
Pm me if you have any further questions. Hope that helps.
The pic attached is what mine looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought the Ducati Performance rear hugger, which is a shorter version. I had taken it to Vancouver Ducati and they said that in addition to having to take the rear tire off to fit the right side of it, they couldn't fit it properly, as it rubbed to close to the tire.
This problem only occurs with certain profile tires.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This problem only occurs with certain profile tires.
I heard something similar myself. If I recall it was 55 series tires thst made the tire larger in its diameterfor possible clearance issues, but I will take note when I fit new tires with the hugger. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the Ducati Performance rear hugger, which is a shorter version. I had taken it to Vancouver Ducati and they said that in addition to having to take the rear tire off to fit the right side of it, they couldn't fit it properly, as it rubbed to close to the tire. They fortunately did not charge me and I went home thinking I spent 175.00 on a hugger that is suppose to fit, but does not.
I then took it in to Ducati Richmond. They too had to remove the rear tire, but said they had seen similar problems with huggers with the black swingarm. They added a few risers and made it fit perfect. Barely charged me for it as I was putting on some new Supercorsa's. So if you take it in, tell them to add some risers to compensate for the lopsided fit. I have saw other 999R's with that exact hugger.
Pm me if you have any further questions. Hope that helps.
The pic attached is what mine looks like.
Thanks. I did try something like that, but still ran into issues with the rear break line and its guide not wanting to accomodate the trailing edges of the hugger.
I think the trick is to spend the time to try different configuration using spacers. The other issue is the screw holding the brake cable guide is turning without coming all the way out, so I need to look at that as well.
Ainsley

1 - 10 of 10 Posts