Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must have gotten it on a bind, had the back off doing the blinker mod. Pushed seat on, slightly forced it, now it's stuck, and I mean stuck. I can turn the key to its stop but it's not enough to get the seat free. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
You can get a thin screw driver between seat and bodywork and gently pry while turning the key. A jewelers screw driver is thin and small.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard doesn't even describe the amount of force I've tried applying down on the seat. I've already caused some Seat damage, it's looking like I might seriously have to cut the seat off

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must have a wiring harness or something under there on a bind from when I had it apart that is not allowing it to work properly. Although I think the mechanism is cheap and garbage for being on a ducati, I do believe it is working properly. I just screwed up by forcing the seat in place when I could tell it wasn't right. Dumb move. I'm guessing now all I can do is cut the cover off, remove the foam and dig down to it and free it. Seriously pissing me off.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wait!

Just go in from under it. Take the screws out and open the rear cowling. I understand 'But the bolts under the seat hold it down!'
But get a look from under the heat shield. You'll have to shift the heat shield a bit to get the catches to come off. But you only need a little room.

And a flashlight.

Now this part is going to sound dumb. ( to me it does )

Go to the local fishing supply place. They sell a device, to get the hook out of fish. It's about say, 8 inchs long, thin, and has a handle with a trigger to it. On the long end it has a small set of clamping jaws. Pull trigger and jaws close. The one I have is at my parents so no photo.

But! If you can see the wire that is caught, with some careful work, you can grab the wire and move it without slicing and dicing it.

Needle nose pliers MIGHT work, but they get progressively larger toward the handle.

I have small scars on my hands and a lot of blood on that bike from doing wiring in the cowl. I HATE it. But I've been where you were. It was a wire that got me. It might be a stuck spring. Not sure. But that tool might get you there. $8? Even if it lets you pry open the release catch, victory.

Good luck, and may the force be with you

·
Registered
395 Posts
Definitely give it a shot from the bottom before you cut up the seat. I always have issues with mine as well. What I find works best is applying pressure on the back part of the seat and start turning the key as you let off the seat. Sounds like you may have gotten hung up on some wires though...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ill have to look at it again, I could have sworn that there was no way to reach it from the bottom. Plus I think the bottom half is very securely fastend to the top half via the fasteners under the rear seat. I wish I had room to remove the cable from the tumbler and get some vise grips on it for a good solid pull. Still cant believe this happened, mint seat ruined.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
The plastic rear cowling gives if you don't yank to break it. By removing the cowling screws around the bottom and maybe even removing the exhaust cans, you can get an opening.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Will try and get some pics for you when i get home in a few hours. If memory serves me correctly, there are some wires right around the hole the latch on the seat goes into, my guess is you are snagged on one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just as i recalled.... bundle of wires directly under the hole where the latch goes through (see attached pics). My guess is one or more of them are snagged in the notch on the metal bar in the seat that locks to the bike.

If you are standing behind the exhaust pipe looking forward at the bike, the notch that "locks" into the metal lever inside the tail is cut into the left side of the metal rod sticking out of the bottom of the seat/cowl.

Try pushing down on your seat in this spot, and see if you can then turn the key to unlock the seat/cowl. I have to press here to be able to turn turn my key with normal pressure (other wise it just feels like i am about to break off the key), then let go of the seat while holding the key open and the seat/cowl then comes out freely. Again this is a weird thing i noticed on mine but this "trick" works every time.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Figured that was the case, there is really no other way for it to get hung up. I would look over all the wires to make sure they are not damaged, I think those might go to the ECU so you definitely dont want them shorting on you unexpectedly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts