Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow members, new owner of a red monster 821. Picked up last week clocked up 1000 klm so first run in service is complete.
Owned a Street triple R for a very short time and switched to the monster. the triple seemed overly refined and simply didn't put the smile on my face that the 821 does.

Comparing the two is like chalk and cheese, street triple is smooth in all area's, 3 cylinder engine that would happily ride along in 5th or 6th at 60klm/h and still pull away if needed.
Ergo's were super comfy and no heat radiated from the engine up into the rider. Suspension adjusted made for a great ride. But it seemed bland to ride.

Jump on the monster which is loud & you can certainly feel the twin firing away under you, Ergo's are a bit awkward, forks & shock bouncy and harsh when roads arn't smooth.
The heat from the engine leaves you sweating in traffic
But some how I can't wipe the smile off my face while riding it. The way it effortlessly tips into corners, the sound of the twin & the torque compared to the street triple

Few simple mods to make it suit my height and weight a little better (5'6" - 75kg)
Ordered: Puig windshield, Rizoma riser kit, Rizoma MA011 handlebars & Rizoma bar end weights.
Hoping this brings the bars upwards and slightly back towards me. The stock bars seem to wide as well and it's causing a pressure spot on the back of my neck.

Next is suspension:
Andreani adjustable fork cartridges.

Rear shock ? Does anyone know if there is anything available yet? The ohlins from the 1200 doesn't look like it would fit as part of it would foul on the double sided swingarm.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one knows if there is another option for the rear shock?
Could get it re-valved but since it's only rebound adjustable hardly any point.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
don't know where you are in the world.

Not so many info type people here these days...

From what I have read, you are the target market size for Ducati standard so would have thought the suspension would not need updating.

I have friends with the triples.. always sound like something is ready to fall out of those engines. as opposed to my dry clutch " it's a diesel mate" rattle.

good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome, I'm based in Australia.
The forks seem to dive excessively when braking but seem harsh and unsettled when the roads not super smooth which can make it hard to hold a line.
The rear shock seems firm over all.
Could well be correct spring rate but crap valving.

Comparing the forks/shock from the street triple R to the 821 there is a big difference in composure.
I never got the sense something was about to fall out of the triples engine but that low speed whine noise it makes is darn annoying especially after a 40 min low speed commute in traffic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, I'm based in Australia.
The forks seem to dive excessively when braking but seem harsh and unsettled when the roads not super smooth which can make it hard to hold a line.
The rear shock seems firm over all.
Could well be correct spring rate but crap valving.

Comparing the forks/shock from the street triple R to the 821 there is a big difference in composure.
I never got the sense something was about to fall out of the triples engine but that low speed whine noise it makes is darn annoying especially after a 40 min low speed commute in traffic.
Hi, I'm in oz as well and bought the same bike. Happy with everything except the front suspension as well especially the diving which doesn't take much braking to make happen.
Did you go the andreni cartridges? Cheers, Leroy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.