Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My bike feels terrible and has 0 sag with my rider weight at 160. I have hated this ever since i got it. I need to locate where to get a rear spring that will work on my stock SHOWA shock. any suggestions?

Please let me know asap.

Adam :dance:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It'll sag nicely if you reduce the preload in the spring. The stock spring stiffness is selected by Ducati to be correct for a standardized test 160 lb. rider.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
The stock spring is far too stiff for you. Contact Race Tech Suspension and talk to them. Your aprox 2 springs above where you should be. Even at 180lbs I had to go to a softer spring to get my suspension sag adjusted properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stock spring is far too stiff for you. Contact Race Tech Suspension and talk to them. Your aprox 2 springs above where you should be. Even at 180lbs I had to go to a softer spring to get my suspension sag adjusted properly.
It'll sag nicely if you reduce the preload in the spring. The stock spring stiffness is selected by Ducati to be correct for a standardized test 160 lb. rider.

Thank you guys, I am all the way backed off on preload and it is still terrible. It's either I fix this or sell the bike because I hate it to be honest. :rlwhore:

Other than the power nice Italian style, build quality ;):yo:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Honestly, you'll never be happy with the stock shock. I put a lighter spring on my 848 and weigh even less then you do and it was horrible. I don't know how people ride with the thing stock. Anyway, the only real solution is to have the shock re-valved and re-sprung. You can't do one or the other, it has to be a complete package and if you're gonna spend the money, might as well put a better shock on there as the stocker is pretty bad no matter what you do.

Suspension updates are a bottomless pit because every one you make will be a world of difference, night and day. So if you do the rear, you need to do the front.

Race Tech is garbage, I'd not even consider going there.

BTW, it's not a "ducati" thing. Every single stock bike I've owned, Japanese or European, has had substandard/garbage suspension stock.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i weight is 220 with gear and i could not get any sag at all, i changed the spring and it was better so i said screw it replace the shock and link with ohilns and changed the forks too! the difference is night and day! I love riding the bike now and handles like its on rails! i would take it to someone who is really good at suspension set up and change the rear spring and more then likely the front springs

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Hey guys,

My bike feels terrible and has 0 sag with my rider weight at 160. I have hated this ever since i got it. I need to locate where to get a rear spring that will work on my stock SHOWA shock. any suggestions?

Please let me know asap.

Adam :dance:

Any Ducati dealer worth its salt will be able to recommend the right spring for your weight. This bike is setup for two up capability and would be brutal on a light rider. Reduce the spring strength and you'll fall in love with that bike all over. No need for revalving anything if you only ride on the street.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts