Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been searching around both here and on Ebay & Amazon but just keep confusing my self even further.

Im looking for a rear stand for a Single Sided Swing arm Duc, an 848 to be exact. I really only need it for cleaning the chain and waxing it. I dont track and most my maintenance is done by the dealer. I dont need anything to fancy just some thing inexpensive. I know, inexpensive and Ducati go hand in hand like a fork and electrical socket.

Is it safe to assume that the $150-$200 range I keep seeing, is what I should be expecting to spend for a new rear stand?

Im sure this is a very noob question, and i apologize up from like Chris Pratt for Jurassic World.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I dont have the spoolers/sliders. I honestly havent seen them on an 848/1x98 before. I had a set of stands that used spools before but I sold them when it picked up the 848. Go those for $85 new too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Lol @ Chris Pratt apology

Can't go wrong with Pit Bull! Not sure if the 848 requires two different sized pins like my 1199 does (one for chain side, one for the open side) but you'd want to research that. If your only intention is to just clean the chain and never to remove the wheel then you could save some money by just ordering one of the pins instead of both.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
When the UK Ducati Challenge as it is called now, was the Ducati 848 challenge absolutely every team would use the Ducati Performance rear paddock stand, bar none. The factory superbike teams use them also.

Paddock Stand - Rear - by Ducati Performance - Ducati Motorcycle Parts, Ducati Motorcycle Accessories, and Ducati Apparel & Fashion from A&S Ducati ( I'm sure better prices are available, I'm in the UK and just used that link for an example of the stand I am talking of )

Now id you don't want to spend that kind of money then you want to look for something which copies that basic design. Simple to use single-handedly ( although at the racetrack you are never alone )

You especially want to pay attention to the rear loop of the frame and ensure that it is raised off the ground because: Fingers.
But it's just a tubular piece of steel so many will do the job. After prolonged and heavy use the wheels even fall off the DP model but that's easily fixed with a new spring clip washer which is the bit that pops off.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Pit Bull is best because it's reversible. If you were ever feeling froggy and got both pins (if 848 requires it), you can lift it from both sides of the axle. The DP stand doesn't look reversible. Not without undoing nuts/bolts to swap sides. And the PB is much cheaper. Attached are pics showing the PB's reversibility.

If you get the axle sliders with the spools then you'd be able to use the traditional stand like you had already sold.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hey guys, been searching around both here and on Ebay & Amazon but just keep confusing my self even further.

Im looking for a rear stand for a Single Sided Swing arm Duc, an 848 to be exact. I really only need it for cleaning the chain and waxing it. I dont track and most my maintenance is done by the dealer. I dont need anything to fancy just some thing inexpensive. I know, inexpensive and Ducati go hand in hand like a fork and electrical socket.

Is it safe to assume that the $150-$200 range I keep seeing, is what I should be expecting to spend for a new rear stand?

Im sure this is a very noob question, and i apologize up from like Chris Pratt for Jurassic World.
What about one of these?

Wheel Jockey : Home Page

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have never known a situation where a rear paddock stand for a single sided swing arm Ducati has needed to fit on the reverse side. That's being in the race paddock with them for the last 6 years.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thats alot of good info. I think for what I need now, the Wheel jockey might get the job done. I think harbor freight even makes something similar. I might also hunt in the Classifieds.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
That looks simple! but scare the poo out of me being on the side stand :ahhh:

Good point! Probably worth it to buy a cheap wheel chock for piece of mind. You could probably get both from HF for less than a pit bull rear stand.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Your cheapest option is to go to the hardware store and buy a 1 inch diameter wooden rod.
Put it thru your axle,
Then use a cheap regular spool type rear stand.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Motogpclaude is right, but there are a w ways to achieve it.
I bought myself a set of spool-shaped rear axle sliders protection cheaply from ebay (was around $20-$30) for track use, but it is also suitable for normal rearstands for spools.
That's a good value, double-use, and rearstands of that type are a whole lot cheaper than Ducati-specific rearstands.
Disc brake Tire Auto part Wheel Vehicle brake

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Motogpclaude is right, but there are a w ways to achieve it.
I bought myself a set of spool-shaped rear axle sliders protection cheaply from ebay (was around $20-$30) for track use, but it is also suitable for normal rearstands for spools.
That's a good value, double-use, and rearstands of that type are a whole lot cheaper than Ducati-specific rearstands.
View attachment 86816
Do you have a pic of the other side?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Only problem with that setup is being unable to change the rear tire. Admittedly the need doesn't arise too often, but I personally like to have the option

1 - 20 of 60 Posts