Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished mounting the rearsets supplied by Thorsten Durbahn and the Braketech 320mm CMC discs that came from a Ducati 999. Have not been out much with it yet due to bad weather, still making adjustments but will let you know if there are any noticeable differences. Glenn

·
Registered
202 Posts
Who's brake lines do you have installed?

All that cost for those rear sets, which are very nice, yet a folded piece of aluminum is supplied to support the belly pan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, the brackets are home made in SS but yes had hoped for carbon replacements but thorsten said still to be done. Brake lines are from HEL. Glenn

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yip, Black for winter. Got out at weekend and tried out everything, carbon brakes working well and very progressive, rearsets seem to offer better erganomics and comfort but will do a few more miles before making a judgement. Glenn

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
Be good to get a real world 'honest' appraisal of those carbon disks compared the standard items. I run Carbon Sintered pads in mine (with standard rotors) and found this setup (personally) to be the best in terms of very strong progressive breaking power without the snatchy nature of road pads and excellent at managing high heat cycles. They do need a bit more heat to begin with but once there are very good indeed...

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
I'd have to check back, but I have done around 40,000 kms on my similar CMC front discs.

They're great. Actually their primary benefit to me is their significantly lighter weight. You can really feel a difference just going along, before you touch the brakes.

The braking is pretty sublime too. Plenty. Never fade - never change lever response. Just what you want.

They work hot, cold, wet, dry. I've been around race tracks, along dirt tracks, and immersed them crossing a flooded causeway.

The down side? They are getting a bit of play between the floating components. Not an issue riding, but they do rattle when I wheel the bike - particularly backwards. I ran (Brembo) floating discs for many years, and they all do that after a while.

And the CMCs make a 'squawk' sound coming to a dead halt. Not a biggie. They did that almost from the start.

I guess they're a race track part, where coming to a dead halt isn't the thing..

:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have been trying to get a set of these discs and pads, but was told they are out of production?

I emailed Durbhan but got no reply. Does anyone know of a supply?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have been trying to get a set of these discs and pads, but was told they are out of production?

I emailed Durbhan but got no reply. Does anyone know of a supply?
They were developed and are sold/marketed by Braketech. I've called them a few times in the last year and they are still working with the manufacturer to produce a suitable supply for the public. Date of release is still unknown.

Bellissimoto sells Sicom CMC disks - at least the list them as available on their web site. I haven't called to ask about actual availability.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Here's the response I got back from Braketech on CMC availability:

Although we are getting much closer on finalizing the next generation matrix for the AXIS/CMC race-rotors, not there yet. As such, no solid ETA is available at present.

Doesn't sound good for availability.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I contacted them over the last couple of years looking for the discs I recieved pretty much the same answer so probably better to do what I did and look for a set of 320mm discs from a 999 as offset and mounting are the same as the Desmo and all that you need to do is make up radial caliper spacers at 7.5mm and bingo. thornsten Durbahn mentioned to me a while back that one of his customers was thinking to sell there set so you you could send him a mail at.
[email protected] and see but I would imagine they would be expensive and remember you will need to get the correct compound of brake pads for the CMC discs. glenn

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I ran Vesrah SRJL pads on the CMC rotors after talking to Jeff at Braketech. He admitted the Sintergrip pads (which in print they insist are the only sintered pads you can use on the CMCs) are just another sintered pad, nothing special about them at all as relates to the CMC rotors. Any decent pads will work just fine. That's putting it mildly. The SRJLs grip harder, drag much less, and offer feedback, unlike the wooden Sintergrips. So no, there is no restriction on pads. That's just Braketech's way of moving product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts