Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Your work looks good. Keep us updated how that top end looks as you pull it apart.

Did you decide on performance rebuild or just a freshen and replace bent/broken stuff??

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Nice stand! Looks identical to the one I made! LOL

One thing about it though… it only works for the upper stuff. Once you start to work on the bottom end, you will need to lay the engine sideways. You can probably do that with your arrangement, if your careful and have long pins which are very strong. But to crack the cases open, the engine will need to be put on that wooden engine frame we may have talked about previously. If not, I'd be more then happy to explain it to you.

Anyway, you don't need to remove everything to get the engine apart. I would focus on trying to remove as little as possible. You need to pull the crank output gear on the right side and the flywheel on the left side. You'll also need the layshaft tool to pull the layshaft pulley off and save that woodruff key! Heck, save ALL the woodruff key's in a separate container, they can fall out onto the floor, ask me how I know. Anyway, just pull the left case off and don't bother messing with the tranny or for that matter, the clutch assembly.

Thats just my 2 cents… been there, done that. ;)

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Of course!!!! :)

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Lucky you, T!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Tchase,

Are you just doing a rebuild? Or are you going have some real fun, like a 1040cc big bore kit? Maybe getting your transmission gears cut (over/under) and cryogenically treated?

Looks like your off to good start, haha.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Do not jeopardize the reliability of an 848 EVO motor by installing an 1040 kit. If you need more power go to a stock 1198 motor................ Just sayin, T.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Ooo exciting! So it begins! Good luck with the rebuild!

Reactions: StevenAthas

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yes, you have to split the crank cases. You don't know how much damaged was caused from the piston hitting the valve.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The first video is all you need to do. Simply install the cam belts, put the Ducati tool on the pulley's and re-align. You don't need a dial indicator if you use the Ducati tool because it set's the timing at factory settings. The 2nd video shows how to set the timing manually, which you wouldn't need to do with the Ducati cam tool. You can rent all the appropriate tools from Welcome

They even have instruction guides. :)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I don't have to do anything Tye... I can just stick a new top half and replace the piston put it all back together and it might be fine and it might blow up.
You won't meet anyone on the planet, who wouldn't suggest doing a bottom end at 20K + miles after whats considered a "catastrophic engine failure", especially since the engine is already being disassembled. You don't really need any crazy special tools if all you do is pull the crank, send it out and put the returned crank back in again. Mostly all the timing is locked via woodruff keys and dot's, so you simply align the dot's and put in the keys, you're done.

If the bottom end has a problem, you could easily throw a rod through the crankcases. Then you've got nothing left… all because you didn't want to do it right, does that make any sense?

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Yep looks like your exhaust valves hit the piston.... Just like mine!.. The rod bearing spun, might be looking for new, rod, prolly crank replacement/rebuild... just like mine.... Misery loves company! I am with you T....

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
BTW... just tell him to go piss off!!! Your thread...

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Yep, split the cases, try to keep the transmission gears in tact by removing the right side crank case, (if possible). By the way, I can guarantee the rod bearing is gone and may have taken the crank.... but there are ways of dealing with the crank... four to be exact...

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Be sure and remember there are bolts inside the clutch side that bolt thru the cases. Also, as a friend learned, be sure and remove the metal cylinder gaskets, before you split the cases!!!

1 - 20 of 245 Posts