Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the winter I had my fork tubes service and now I have to re-set everything since it's all out of wack. Before, I had someone else do it so I'm not sure exactly where to start, and I've read several different opinions/answers in some of the old threads on here.

First off...sag (with rider on). I've heard anywhere from 30-35mm for the rear and 35-40mm for the front. Does that sound right? Also, are these values based on the bike on the ground, or lifted front/rear?

Next...ride height. This is all based on how and where you measure from and since I don't have a ride height measuring tool, or a means to lift the rear off the ground, I'm going to specify it in a different way. Front height: 3 lines showing on the fork tubes. Rear height 6 mm of threads showing on the ride height adjuster. Does that sound good for a starting point? Keep in mind I have the stock triples.

Next...rebound and compression damping. This is the part I don't really know where to start from.

A few more things to add, I have the stock Showa suspensions and this is for track only. Also, I'm guessing some of these settings are dependent on tires and tire pressure as well...but how exactly? How do you fine-tune the rebound and damping especially based on the tires and tire pressure used? For now I'm mainly interested in getting ballpark settings, especially for setting sag, because I will be changing my tires in a couple of weeks, so I will fine-tune the settings then.

· Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the link tye! that's really good detailed stuff. I have searched for Ducati specific stuff and that's where i found the settings that i posted above. also found settings for rebound and compression but since that was the only source where i found that and it was from a sport bike magazine's website, i didn't include it in my post because i'm not sure how accurate it is.

what is the section 8 setup guide you speak of?

· Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts
If interested Rubbish, I can help you a bit with your chassis set up, just give me a PM or email.

· Registered
364 Posts
Well I was just doing the same thing. I have the ride height tool (its an essential as gives a standard reference point). I even found a plastic plug that fit snugly into the rear axle giving me a darn near perfect center point (little nub in the plastic mould).
Brian has great info, but remember that whomever you purchase your parts from will have different base numbers. I'm glad I purchased the ride hieght rod or else I wouldn't have been able to achieve the numbers Brian recommended. (Top of tool to center of rear axle). Now to find someone to help me set up sag. :)

(edit) I'm still on stock parts and began with factory settings found in the owners manual, including ride height. I've ridden the bike about 60 miles (if winter would go away, I could ride more) and initial feel is nimble, but road conditions and bike gearing limit my riding style.
I'll pull out the scales and see if the bias has changed. That's about all I can do when there's still snow and +2'C outside (35'F for you yanks).

· Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i need to get someone to help me set sag as well. bad news that i found out is apparently when my fork tubes were serviced they were reassembled slightly wrong, so for the rebound damping i only have a range of 6 clicks on the left and 7 on the right. First of all they should be the same, and I believe they should go up to 12 clicks.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
You already know that the first thing you need to do is to set the correct sag. You'll need a friend, a ruler, some zip ties and a marker. I'm sure you know how. Plenty of articles around.

Some other articles that might be of interest can be found in the following links. older stuff but relevant

first, a post from this forum

http://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/2082-suspension-setting-leightweights.html#post19836

and

Motorcycle Art and Science - Traction & Geometry - Sport Rider

Dave Moss Unsprung: Fork Manipulation and Fork Geometry | OnTheThrottle.com

and if you can get the opportunity to talk to Dave Moss, preferably at a trackday but even just via email, then I strongly suggest that you do so.

and fyi? the Alpinestars suit the guy in the first video is wearing is a similar top of the range ( prior to the recent GP range launch ) suit that Moly has to sell

· Registered
204 Posts
So over the winter I had my fork tubes service and now I have to re-set everything since it's all out of wack. Before, I had someone else do it so I'm not sure exactly where to start, and I've read several different opinions/answers in some of the old threads on here.

First off...sag (with rider on). I've heard anywhere from 30-35mm for the rear and 35-40mm for the front. Does that sound right? Also, are these values based on the bike on the ground, or lifted front/rear?

Next...ride height. This is all based on how and where you measure from and since I don't have a ride height measuring tool, or a means to lift the rear off the ground, I'm going to specify it in a different way. Front height: 3 lines showing on the fork tubes. Rear height 6 mm of threads showing on the ride height adjuster. Does that sound good for a starting point? Keep in mind I have the stock triples.

Next...rebound and compression damping. This is the part I don't really know where to start from.

A few more things to add, I have the stock Showa suspensions and this is for track only. Also, I'm guessing some of these settings are dependent on tires and tire pressure as well...but how exactly? How do you fine-tune the rebound and damping especially based on the tires and tire pressure used? For now I'm mainly interested in getting ballpark settings, especially for setting sag, because I will be changing my tires in a couple of weeks, so I will fine-tune the settings then.
I had made me some notes to help me with the suspension setting.
Maybe you will find them helpful, even if I had done them for my stock ohlins.

Attachments

· Registered
406 Posts
Preload is often forgotten there's no point in having the correct sag when the spring is to soft eg: say your a fat cunt and have 50mm of rider sag with the stock preload! No dramas ill just wind down those big nuts on the the shock to get the correct sag...... Nuh then the spring would be compressed halfway down before you even ride off giving a harsh ride cause the spring is like "ahhh I am about to bottom out ahhhh get off ya fat cunt" .......hence the need for different spring rates.

My ohlins Du811 from my 1198s had 28.5mm of preload with 20mm of rider sag, I weigh 75kg with my dong standing strong

Dan Kyle seems to recommend 12 to 16mm of preload meaning if I wound out my preload I would get more rider sag to suit me but It would still leave me with to much preload on my 80.0 Nmm spring, to get the correct preload I would have to much sag........ Meaning I had to get a stiffer spring to accommodate the correct preload for my weight giving the correct rider sag "area" for fine adjustment

Dan Kyles post on Ohlins there's info on the showa in there to.......

Some Basic Ohlins information - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Just my opinion I am not a expert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.