Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the winter I traded my regular plastic tank for one of the Ducati Aluminum tanks off an 1198SP (I think). The 1198 had been down and one of the corners was pretty chewed up. There was also some cash from my end but who's counting...

A good friend of mine owns an autobody shop and I talked him into refinishing the tank for me. I showed him a few pictures of the raw aluminum tank from the 848 Evo Corse and let him go to town trying to replicate that look. It took quite a while to essentially figure out how Ducati got that specific look, but in the end I was very happy with how it turned out. Here's a before and after picture.

I think it came out pretty well. Anybody else ever try to do this?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Nice.

I am in the process of having a good friend who is a PPG and Dupont rep. paint my DP tank. So I called a local Ducshop for the Pearl white paint code. Well blah,blah, blah I can't get a paint code I have to go through a place called Touch up direct. So I call them and talked to a nice enough gentleman. Who informs me that the Ducati pearl white from them is a propriety mix of there's. and won't give a paint code but wants to sell me 1 pint for 250+ dollars not including shipping. :confused:

So now I am contemplating a very simple black paint for the gas tank. Talked to my paint buddy who said some of these speciality paints can be expensive, like house of colours expensive and even with a scan(paint match program) of another pearl white part it might not be a perfect match..

:mad: But what an I going to do. Anyone here have a pint of Ducati pearl white they want to sell me?:eek:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Nice.

I am in the process of having a good friend who is a PPG and Dupont rep. paint my DP tank. So I called a local Ducshop for the Pearl white paint code. Well blah,blah, blah I can't get a paint code I have to go through a place called Touch up direct. So I call them and talked to a nice enough gentleman. Who informs me that the Ducati pearl white from them is a propriety mix of there's. and won't give a paint code but wants to sell me 1 pint for 250+ dollars not including shipping. :confused:

So now I am contemplating a very simple black paint for the gas tank. Talked to my paint buddy who said some of these speciality paints can be expensive, like house of colours expensive and even with a scan(paint match program) of another pearl white part it might not be a perfect match..

:mad: But what an I going to do. Anyone here have a pint of Ducati pearl white they want to sell me?:eek:
Hope this help :)

I've helped my friend, who owned a body shop/bike shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have an sp tank that needs to be refinished as well. I'm hoping my body guy can replicate the brushed aluminum look so I can keep the top stripe and "DUCATI" side tank emblems. I'm also hoping to dull it down a little with some translucent black. Summer project.

As far as the pearl white goes, most bodyshops have the ability to scan the part and send it to their paint supplier to reverse engineer the color. Atleast mine does and when it doesn't come back with a match eyeing it against a color card has produced great results.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks just like silver paint to me! I still think the raw aluminum tank looks better
I do like the look of some of those. I think on the 1098/848 tank it doesn't look as good as the "real" thing. But it certainly a much more cost effective option. I put some Ducati stickers on mine, with some carbon edge protectors and a clear tank guard. Need to post another pic, now it looks complete...

·
Registered
303 Posts
looks just like silver paint to me! I still think the raw aluminum tank looks better
I saw the black tank above, i didnt think it was aluminum, but black painted. So yeah thats what this dude did is make paint look like aluminum. Id rather have the aluminum though for the anti ethanol effect. Sorry I thought thats what the OP was talking about. my bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts