Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just joined the duc club with an 07 tricolore. The bike has 8200kms on it and when i got it inspected they said it needed a fuel filter and cam belts because they were supposed to be changed every 2 years. Talking to 2 other duc owners an 848 evo and a 1098s they said these things didnt have to be replaced that often. Can anyone duc og's provide some insight? thanks?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just picked up a o9 1198 with 727 miles on it with all original fluids (oil was changed) and belts.

So I put 280 miles on 5 year old belts and was nervous almost the whole time. @ 1000 I bought new OEM belts cost 135 for the belts and charged 100 to install them. That and exhaust tune is the only thing I didn't do myself.

The belts are really the main thing to worry about, If your going down the road and the belts go the motor is toast. Every 2 years might be too much, piece of mind is worth a couple of hundred bucks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey guys, just joined the duc club with an 07 tricolore. The bike has 8200kms on it and when i got it inspected they said it needed a fuel filter and cam belts because they were supposed to be changed every 2 years. Talking to 2 other duc owners an 848 evo and a 1098s they said these things didnt have to be replaced that often. Can anyone duc og's provide some insight? thanks?
Hello papawle - first of all, congrats on the tricolore. That is an awesome first Duc. If your machine has done 8200kms, and on its original belts, it is high time that they were replaced. It is a small cost as opposed to the repair bill for a damaged engine. I would recommend a full service as well - fluids and filters, brake pad inspection etc. It will give you piece of mind knowing that everything is fresh and ready to go, as you just don't know what has been put in the systems by the previous owner/s.
Hope this helps.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Used bikes need to be gone through thoroughly and most people tend to do the belt maintenance no matter what the condition of the belts.

Ducati recommends 2 years on the modern kevlar belts. They will last a lot longer, but it honestly depends on how much the bike has been ridden. An 07' with such low milage is a red flag because that means the bike sat for a considerable amount of time during it's life. As a good example, I had a 5 mile commute for 2 years and still managed to put 10,000K's on my bike during that time and only used it for commuting.

So yea, I'd replace ALL the fluids and fuel filter, go through the valve clearances and replace those belts. The bike may need other things like a chain because the stock chain's have issues with sticking and if they aren't lubricated well, the friction level will be way up. Another thing to think about is replacing the battery because even if it's been on the tender all this time, it's probably hosed. If it's got an aftermarket one installed, less of a worry for sure.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy your Duc! They need to be loved to keep running, so ride that sucker every day you can! :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
5000 miles and recommending checking valve clearance is too soon for my $0.02 unless you got tons of spare money. The rest, yeah do it.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Having two belt failures I'd suggest following the book :)
First time I got lucky, second time not so lucky.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Valve clearance is done by distance not time so 12000 kilometres for that. Ducati OEM filters do not seal in the airbox so go aftermarket for sure. I went with the MWR 2 piece filter. Do all the fluids and oil filter along with the belts. I did my belts at 12000Ks after 4 years. , Ducati says 24000Ks or 2 years for the belts. If the bike starts okay I wouldn't do the battery mine is 5 years old and still going, but that's up to you as all of these things are, it's your money.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks boys! The bike has been fully serviced and maintained. I had our local shop pull up the old work records. The previous owner bought it at 2000kms and in 4 years he put on 6k kms which is a lot for our season. May-sept with quite a bit of rain in the summer. The belts and fluids were done 3 years ago and the battery was replaced last year. Gonna take it in for the fuel filter and cam belts asap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.