Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have searched but I can't find a step by step guide on how to remove and replace the rear tire . Please help ! :)

Oh and what tire do you suggest ?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Do you have 55mm socket yet? Do you have impact gun? Do you have rear stand? if no let the dealer do it or call around see anyone in your local motorcycle have tools for your bike. if yes with all those items above then use your rear stand on rear sprocket side then take off wire bolt then use 55mm socket with impact gun shot out the rear axle bolt ( counter clockwise), take your wheel and tire to any local motorcycle they can change it and balance for you $25-30 max
I use Michelin power one V front and B rear
good luck, let me know if need more help.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Hi all

I have searched but I can't find a step by step guide on how to remove and replace the rear tire . Please help ! :)

Oh and what tire do you suggest ?
Well, if you weren't so friggin far from me I'd say bring it by..

So, you'll need a rear stand (PitBull my fav)

You can either buy at your dealer or on-line the flat socket made specifically for Duc's.. They are 1/2"drive. Be sure to get the STEEL one NOT the Aluminum one! 1/2" drive Breaker Bar (longer the better) and a 1/2" drive Torque Wrench. You don't need nothing fancy, Sear's will have the Bar & Wrenches.. Although I did get PROTO cause they make a nice long one and good warranty..

YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE IMPACT GUN

Ducati rear wheel removal is the easiest in the business, I wish everyone's were as easy.

While on the PittBull.. Put in 1st gear + have someone stand on the rear brake for removal, 1st time will be specially hard. Have the brake person steady the bike. This is also why I prefer the Ducati socket over a regular socket, it keeps your leverage closer to your work which also helps you keep straight, stable ect without spinning off in angles while your exerting torque. Re-install in reverse order. If I recall, 65-75lbs torque for re-tightening the axle nut. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. After you do it a couple times, you'll be doing it by yourself in no time.

Tires???

That's a on going debate right there..

For the average Joe, I'd say Dunlop Q'2's or Michelin Power Pure.. Hard canyons/trackday's you should step it up in the Tire dept..

Good luck, You can do it.. :yo:

RC

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm here in Campbell I'd have almost everything you need except for the axle socket, and tires. Just did my 848 yesterday for open track, let me know if you still need any help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey guys.

Both the front and Rear wheels are off! I'm taking them in today to get new tires fitted. I still haven't decided on which ones i will go with. I'm doing a track day on the on September 19, so i would probably need something that works well on the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you are doing only trackdays with that bike get the Pirelli Dragon Superbike Slicks. They don't require tire warmers and made specifically for track days.

If you also ride street on that bike, get the Michelin Power One Street tires. Its stickier than anything Pirelli offers for the streets. I have tried them all...

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
If you are doing only trackdays with that bike get the Pirelli Dragon Superbike Slicks. They don't require tire warmers and made specifically for track days.

If you also ride street on that bike, get the Michelin Power One Street tires. Its stickier than anything Pirelli offers for the streets. I have tried them all...
:yo:

RC

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Hey guys.

Both the front and Rear wheels are off! I'm taking them in today to get new tires fitted. I still haven't decided on which ones i will go with. I'm doing a track day on the on September 19, so i would probably need something that works well on the track.
Is that a toilet plunger I see in the pic?? You know, right in front of the wine rack! :nutkick:

I see a short breaker bar with a snipe/pipe/breaker extension bar.. A mallet.. A tool kit.. 3/8" ratchet.. Don't see the big socket or a torque wrench??

:laughing:

RC

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
If you're a beginner with trackdays, I think Power Pures or the new Q2s will serve you well at the track. Power Ones I will use if I get to the higher level and with those you'll need tire warmers.
Have fun at the track and be safe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you're a beginner with trackdays, I think Power Pures or the new Q2s will serve you well at the track. Power Ones I will use if I get to the higher level and with those you'll need tire warmers.
Have fun at the track and be safe.
You don't need tire warmers with the Power One Streets. You're confusing them with the Power One Race tires in which case yes. The Power One Streets are sticky yet still warm up very quickly. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is that a toilet plunger I see in the pic?? You know, right in front of the wine rack! :nutkick:

I see a short breaker bar with a snipe/pipe/breaker extension bar.. A mallet.. A tool kit.. 3/8" ratchet.. Don't see the big socket or a torque wrench??

:laughing:

RC
Why yes that is a Toilet plunger :eek:. It was used to knock the front pin out! It worked really well!

I had a breaker bar but didn't have to use it. I purchase the $60 socket from ducati which worked fantastically well ! I do have a Torque Wrench but unfortunately it only goes to 150 lbs. So i have to get another one that can get to the required 170 lbs!

I did the white one last night. It took half the time!;)

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Why yes that is a Toilet plunger :eek:. It was used to knock the front pin out! It worked really well!

I had a breaker bar but didn't have to use it. I purchase the $60 socket from ducati which worked fantastically well ! I do have a Torque Wrench but unfortunately it only goes to 150 lbs. So i have to get another one that can get to the required 170 lbs!

I did the white one last night. It took half the time!;)
See.... Knew you could do it.. even if you do have plumbing tendancies.. :laughing:

RC

1 - 20 of 31 Posts