Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

One of the worst possible things happened to me -- I stripped the head of one of the gold mirror bolts. Nothing I did would get it out, and worse yet, I can't fit a drill in such a small space outside of removing the whole front end (which I just finished doing to change the fork fluid :kaioken:). So I came up with an idea: I'd cut off the head of the screw using a dremel, at which point just the threads would remain (threaded into the mirror itself), meaning I could pull the mirror out as usual and proceed to use a drill & extractor kit. Right now I've got a large chunk of the head cut off, but I wanna ask advice on how to get the remainder cut off. I'm thinking using either a carbide cutter bit or else a carbide engraving bit. Anyone have any recommendations or other suggestions? If nothing else works I might have to go at it the good ole fashioned way, i.e.: :BoomSmilie_anim:

The pic below shows where I'm at now:

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
I ran in to a similar issue recently while removing some gear on my toy hauler.

I ended up using two different tools. Some of the bolts and screws even tough they were the same responded differently even though one tool worked well on the same type in another location.

That is a tough spot to hit so maybe you could use an angled adapter to get a better drive position of the bit/extraction tool.

I don't have links to the exact tools but the below are good examples.

9 Pc 3/8 in. Drive Metric Bolt Extractor Socket Set

OEM/6 pcs. spiral flute screw extractor set 24374 at AutoZone.com

·
Registered
310 Posts
I ran in to a similar issue recently while removing some gear on my toy hauler.

I ended up using two different tools. Some of the bolts and screws even tough they were the same responded differently even though one tool worked well on the same type in another location.

That is a tough spot to hit so maybe you could use an angled adapter to get a better drive position of the bit/extraction tool.

I don't have links to the exact tools but the below are good examples.

9 Pc 3/8 in. Drive Metric Bolt Extractor Socket Set

OEM/6 pcs. spiral flute screw extractor set 24374 at AutoZone.com

also hit it with some penetrating oil while you are formulating you plan of attack.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The gold screws are designed to break-off in a crash. They're made out of a very soft material and you should be able to yank the mirror off the bike right now, put some vice grips on the end of the bolt and unscrew it.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Don't listen to that Yanker. Brass isn't that soft the last time I looked.

Those screws have a 'waist' machined into them as a weak point in case of an accident.

Aren't those fairing stays magnesium? Very brittle.

I'd try what Noahp suggested and see if an angled drill head will fit in there with a very short stub drill attached first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jesus why were you using sand paper to try and remove a brass button head cap screw...

Penetrating oil couldn't hurt. Quick guess is you the surface of the brass and magnesium have become one. Get a little chisel and see if you can get it spinning. If that doesn't work get a dremel and cut a slot to try and get a flat head screw driver in there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news..I got that bastard out. Indeed, the screw was a bit too hard to pull out on its own, though I will agree that they're softer than the regular fairing screws. Originally, before slicing the head off, I tried grabbing it with vise grips and aside from having no traction, the head started contorting. Next, I dremeled a slot into the head to try and use a flathead screw driver but the screw driver just wound up contorting the slot as well. At that point I figured I'd have to slice the head off (though admittedly I was unaware that angled drill bits even existed). This morning I used a carbide cutter to just rip through the remaining part of the head and thankfully it worked as intended (see pics below).

Now on to the question of whether I should shell out 8 bucks for a replacement screw. Apparently the tapered stem of the screw is supposed to allow it to snap in the event of a crash, dislodging the mirror and avoiding damage to the nose stay. However, reading another post on here seems to suggest that these screws don't work as intended, and that leaving them out could actually be better. Decisions..

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.