Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due the design flaw of having the bleeder screw on the lowest point of the rear caliper on the S4R, it seems to rarely ever hold pressure for more than a month or so without having to be bled.

In order to avoid having to remove the caliper and do all of the old tricks to bleed it on a regular basis, has anyone heard of or done them self a swap or upgrade to their rear brake caliper/master cylinder/the whole kit?

Specifically what I would like to know is if perhaps the brakes from a S4RS, 996, 998, 1098, etc, are better and will bolt on to the '05 S4R architecture without modification and are better/more reliable?

I realize that for some riders the rear is a mute point. I rarely use it to stop when I do have it, although I would like it to be working and certainly do like it on the occasion that I am stopped on a slope and do not want to be bent over holding the F brake whilst at a stop light on a hot day.

Thanks fellow Duck Heads!

·
Registered
270 Posts
The bleeder screw location does not cause air in the system, a failed seal in the caliper or master or a porous line is your culprit. Ducati uses the same caliper design on almost any bike in the last 15 years because it is cost effective to not re engineer the least used part of the bike. You can pick up a slightly used 848 caliper and master for pennies on the dollar and pick up a galfer line designed for the s2 or s4. The bleeder position is an annoyance, but if the parts are working g as designed you only need to access it every 2 years for the brake fluid flush.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A bit late to see this post
But if I do read and understand correctly
I would be able to change the rear caliper to one from the 848 with the pump and it would fit straight on the to the caliper mount of my monster s4r of 2005?
Kind regards
Steven

1 - 4 of 4 Posts