Ducati.org forum banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts
Post installation update:

I was able to reset the service message on the screen, however with further playing around, Scan M5X, Torque and Harrys Lap Timer are unable to use the device for other functions (RPM, gear, etc).

Torque shows the best error message indicating that the ELM adapter does not comply with the standard it advertises. The others just seem to not work and you're not sure why.

So if the requirement is to use for track day logging on the cheap, I would avoid the ebay ones and go for a proper one. The PLX Kiwi has dropped it's price now to $60, which made it much more palatable than when I was originally looking for one.

If you're only looking to reset the service message, then the cheap one will probably do.

Ordering the cable today and I already have the OBD-II wifi - as well as the Torque App for my iphone.

I know that TQ does not work with ducati.. Will borrow my buddy's Samsung to clear my service light using the APP you posted..
Thanks

@desmotesta if you are able to see rpm or speed, please let me know how... Even With the Kiwi it doesn't work. Seems to be an issue with Ducati not supporting any messages out of odb unless you either

a) flash the ecu to remove the protection
b) have a different chip
c) have the official ducati service tool

Below the battery box, there is a small 2 or 3 wire connector with a cap on it...that's the one you'll use for the obd. May have to look a bit, mine was tucked in behind some wires and I almost missed it.

Thank u @corserob im gonna try to find that cable again. If its behind battery box that means i have to access it by opening the front seat am i correct?
Not behind, should be just below it. You should be able to get to it by just removing the left mid fairing. In my case, the connector was just folded back a bit so I didn't see it at first.

The battery on my streetfighter is under the pillion seat. And streetfighter has no fairing. The one i can find is right under the pillion seat but the connector doesnt fit the fist connector. According to ducati dealer here in my country thats the socket they hook up their dds thing. Btw my bike is 2014 streetfighter 848. But i assume it should be the same as the rest of current duc line up. Thanks. Sorry for my stupid questions. Just dumb enough not able to find the connector to hook up the obd :D

Hi all - just singed up on this forum to ask a question specifically about using the Scan M5X with the Fiat 3-pin connector. I've actually been able to hook up Scan M5X to my S2R 1000 using an Audi OBD cable and connecting to the bike's 3-pin female diagnostic OBD plug with some alligator clips and paper clips.

Now I have the proper Fiat 3-pin OBD cable, but am a bit confused: why does it have a black/negative/ground alligator clip at all? Doesn't the negative/ground connection come from the battery, though the bike's female pin 3-pin diagnostic plug (specifically the middle pin) and then onto to the ELM device via the 16-pin adapter (specifically pin 4)?

In other words, if the negative/ground feed is provided by the bike's OBD plug and though the 16-pin adapter, why is there a separate black alligator clip??

The red alligator clip is necessary because the bike OBD plug does not have a positive feed, so the red alligator clip feeds pin 16 on the 16-pin plug ... I get this, no worries. I just don't get what the black alligator clip does.

I ask because I'm concerned about the potential mistake of reversing polarity. I'm going to test my cheap-o Fiat 3-pin cable with a multimeter to make sure the red clip goes to pin 16, and that the middle pin goes to pin 4 (chassis ground) or 5 (signal ground) on the 16-pin plug ... but again, not sure what the black clip is supposed to do.

Many thanks!

Note: so far I've been using this Audi/VW type OBD cable - the black outlet has the negative and positive feeds, while the white one holds the K and L feeds. I used alligator clips to hook up the positive pin to the battery, and another clip to connect the negative pin to the middle pin of the bike's OBD plug, and a third to connect the K line of the cable ... it worked fine (but not for actual data logging on rides or anything).

By comparison, the black alligator clip on the Fiat 3-pin cable seems superfluous.

Thanks agian!

Attachments

I was looking for a way to reset my service light on my 1198 and a guy on my local forum turned me on to this lil gem

I got everything in today and gave it a shot, I only had a couple of minutes to mess with it, but I got the Service message cleared, and i think the tps reset as well, i was in a hurry so i didnt see where it was after i did the pipes and dp ecu, it is not showing 2.7 after i hit reset tps

what is the "normal" reading for tps at idle, is this 2.7 normal, i know that it was 2.8 fully stock when i looked at it once before...

there is a ton more functunality and resetting/adjusting/datalogging you can do, but i didnt have time to get into anything else
Hi, can anyone tell me if the fiat cable will fit a monster 1100 2010, it's a 4 pin under the seat, I need to clear the spanner light, cheers Anne

Subscribed - sounds like I need to start buying a few items.

Namely, an Android phone!

Oh and just a thought in case anyone else is paranoid about shorting the ECU by reversing the polarity of their harness due to bad Chinese quality manufacture.

I attached the positive and negative cables to the battery only then added the OBD2 module to the cable. The little light activated to indicate power. Then I reversed the clips and tried again. This time the OBD2 module did not light up.

This proves the polarity is correct and when I plugged it in to the diagnostics port on the bike, I had no problems.
Sorry to bring up an old post but is there a specific OBDII Bluetooth reader I have to get or not? The link on the original post is not there anymore.
Also, is this the easiest way to test out the polarity?

101 - 120 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.