Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post here, so a little Intro...

I am hoping to return to Ducatis after a long hiatus.. Previous ducatis were 2 X 998 beween 2003-2007. gave them up because I get/got (and never will) any joy out of street riding and didn't have time (at the time) to track the 998.

Between 2008 and now I owned an Aprilia RS250 which I did a few track days on @ VIR but after owning the 998 the RS250 just never felt like it did when I raced it between 96-99. The 998 ruined me for most bikes.

I think (and hope) I am now at a place in my life where I may be able to get back to the race track. My last club race was Oct 99 (yes I am OLD) so there are plenty of cobwebs to shake.

I just sold my RS250 and I am hoping to get a "track day" bike that I can take out for street rides on Sundays (if life gets in the way and I cant do track days)

I have been a fan of the 848 since it came out and the 848EVO seemed like the thing to get until I started reading/talking to people who eventually moved up from the 848 due to "lack" of power. (not my opinion)
Although I have not ridden either bikes, I am slightly concerned that after the initial honeymoon phase is over, I may wish I has picked the 1098S (for more power).

I didn't want to ask this question in the 848 forum because the opinions and responses would be predictably in 848's favor (as they will be in 1098's favor in this forum)..May be I chose to ask the question here because I am slightly biased towards the 1098/1098S

So please humor me and help me find my way to one of these bikes. I am pretty out of touch with the differences between the 848/848EVO and 1098/1098S/1198 lineup.

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I'm biased...go for the 1098s.

Differences besides power is the clutch. 848 is wet and 1098 is dry. Suspension on the S is better as well, but if you are building a race bike, then you will most likely upgrade that, so the base 1098 would probably be better.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Hello all,

This is my first post here, so a little Intro...

I am hoping to return to Ducatis after a long hiatus.. Previous ducatis were 2 X 998 beween 2003-2007. gave them up because I get/got (and never will) any joy out of street riding and didn't have time (at the time) to track the 998.

Between 2008 and now I owned an Aprilia RS250 which I did a few track days on @ VIR but after owning the 998 the RS250 just never felt like it did when I raced it between 96-99. The 998 ruined me for most bikes.

I think (and hope) I am now at a place in my life where I may be able to get back to the race track. My last club race was Oct 99 (yes I am OLD) so there are plenty of cobwebs to shake.

I just sold my RS250 and I am hoping to get a "track day" bike that I can take out for street rides on Sundays (if life gets in the way and I cant do track days)

I have been a fan of the 848 since it came out and the 848EVO seemed like the thing to get until I started reading/talking to people who eventually moved up from the 848 due to "lack" of power. (not my opinion)
Although I have not ridden either bikes, I am slightly concerned that after the initial honeymoon phase is over, I may wish I has picked the 1098S (for more power).

I didn't want to ask this question in the 848 forum because the opinions and responses would be predictably in 848's favor (as they will be in 1098's favor in this forum)..May be I chose to ask the question here because I am slightly biased towards the 1098/1098S

So please humor me and help me find my way to one of these bikes. I am pretty out of touch with the differences between the 848/848EVO and 1098/1098S/1198 lineup.

Thank you for your help
We lurk the 1098 forum as well, nothing wrong with either go sit on each, then figure out which one you want. I wanted a 1098 left with an 848.
And I still want a 1098 with my 848 :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
It really depends on what you want it for and of course what you want to spend. I hear such great things about the 899 and it being a much improved bike from the 848. The 1198S would have traction control which is real cool, which you wont get on the 1098. The 848evo I think has a slipper and TC, right? I could be wrong... The 1198 will have the small improvements they detected in the early 1098, like the reinforced radiator and other small things. Larger engine of course, hot as hell too. But more $ likely.

There are great deals to be found on base 1098, and I agree if you plan on upgrading the suspension, who cares bout the S. And I own an S :p hah

·
Registered
401 Posts
I went from an 848evo to a base 1098, I thought the 848 was great but wanted a little more power.
Don't reget my decision for a second, I'm only an average track rider so the extra power makes up for my lack of skill.

160hp and 170kg whats not to like :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have an 848 EVO and plan on upgrading to a big bore sooner or later. The 848 has a wet clucth, so that's supposedly better for in town riding (I've ridden a 998 before and the dry clutch didn't seem that bad to me) but there's a flat spot in the power delivery between 5-7k. At 7k it comes alive and rips to redline. Try and get a test ride on one or the other if possible, but if you're more biased towards a 1098 those seem to be in the same price range as an 848 so that seems like the logical thing to do anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Priorities

I think it depends on your primary use for the bike. If for the track I would go with the 1098S. If you think about riding much on the street I would choose the 848 EVO. It will suit you better on the road. I have a 1098S Tricolore and a PS1000S and I love both, but on the road the PS just takes a lot less work to enjoy.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I think it depends on your primary use for the bike. If for the track I would go with the 1098S. If you think about riding much on the street I would choose the 848 EVO. It will suit you better on the road. I have a 1098S Tricolore and a PS1000S and I love both, but on the road the PS just takes a lot less work to enjoy.
And a lot less speed. I find I'm not having fun on my 1098 unless I'm going faster than johnny law allows.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Due to personal bias, I'd lean toward the 1098s.

Both are great bikes that deserve praise and respect.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I went 1098s as I just love the sound of the dry clutch. If the 899 had a dry clutch, I would probably have a white one in my garage.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your input..

I did make an offer on a 2007 1098S but things didn't work out (several reasons)..
I moved on and kept searching..

My search criteria, money available and what I wanted out of "this" bike, this time around... led me to lean towards the 848 EVO

I ended up going with a 2012 848 EVO Corse , DTC and ducat's own quick shift was an added bonus.

I dont have the bike in my possession yet as money has not exchanged hands..but at ;east I now know that even if this "deal" falls through I will continue to search for another one like it..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at that bike too (and actually ended up going with the 848 EVO Corse with same colors) but the 20K miles was a deal breaker for me.
Thats said, I mean no offense to the owner. My decision to not buy something with that many miles has ONLY to do with lack of experience and information on my part.. thats all.

I am sure a veteran Ducati owner with experience with these engines will pick that bike up any time now..

·
Registered
77 Posts
My buddy owns an 848 evo and its a very nice bike. Hope the deal goes through.

I think the only way you would feel let down with the 848 is if you came from the big liter bikes. I originally wanted an 848 but went with the 1098 because the power wasnt there(owned 2 r1's before this) and i managed to find a low km 1098 TC

Attachments

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Great choice!!!

My 2012 848 Corse was the best bike I've ever owned. Hands down. I should have kept it....

You're gonna love it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great choice!!!

My 2012 848 Corse was the best bike I've ever owned. Hands down. I should have kept it....

You're gonna love it!
That is high praise..Makes me feel even better about my purchase

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lots of 1199 base for sale 12k with low miles might want to look into them. I just made the switch from 1198 to 1199s and it is unreal.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My buddy owns an 848 evo and its a very nice bike. Hope the deal goes through.

I think the only way you would feel let down with the 848 is if you came from the big liter bikes. I originally wanted an 848 but went with the 1098 because the power wasnt there(owned 2 r1's before this) and i managed to find a low km 1098 TC
Hey Papawle, good to see you on the .org forum. We chatted a bit on the R1 forum (I have the same username and from yyc as well).

Anywho, the pic you posted up reminded the of the blurry one I have of my fiance at the same angle :)

I guess that was your tricolore at the show. Good stuff man!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts