Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just sold my RS250 and I am hoping to get a "track day" bike that I can take out for street rides on Sundays (if life gets in the way and I cant do track days)

I have been a fan of the 848 since it came out and the 848EVO seemed like the thing to get until I started reading/talking to people who eventually moved up from the 848 due to "lack" of power. (not my opinion)
Although I have not ridden either bikes, I am slightly concerned that after the initial honeymoon phase is over, I may wish I has picked the 1098S (for more power).

I asked this question in the 1098 forum because I feel I might be slightly biased towards the bigger engine, but would like to get opinions from as many people as possible.

So please humor me and help me find my way to one of these bikes. I am pretty out of touch with the differences between the 848/848EVO and 1098/1098S/1198 lineup.

Thank you for your help

I apologize if posting similar question in two sub-forums is a no-no..

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
My 1st Ducati was a 2012 848evo Corse. The best bike I've ever owned. I traded it for a 2010 1198S Corse. Love both, but my 848 was a better around town bike. The dry clutch on the 1198 sucks in traffic. My 1198 does have 170hp tho....

·
Registered
235 Posts
The 848 is more than enough for the street. You may feel the need for more when you go to the track, I haven't felt I needed the extra power yet. Around town 2nd gear can get you a ticket. On the highway 4th or 5th gear can get you arrested. The darn thing will do 90 in first gear. So if your like Tim the Toolman and "need more power captain", then go with the big boy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You list a 998 as a previous.

Would that be close to a 1098 in power?

My 1098 tricolour was similar to my 916SP.
No way. Both of my 998 dynod at 116-117.8 (both with Termi half system +DP ECU). Also, my 998 was close to 445 pounds wet
That's a lot more weight than the 1098 and a lot less power.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I like the 998 a lot because it has the right amount of torque. You can get 140rwhp out of those motors with R cam's and higher compression pistons no problem. The 848 motor is nothing like the 998 engine, they're completely different feeling lumps and the 1098/1198 is closer to the 848 then the 998. Honestly, I've never liked the 1098, its an in-between motor in my view. The 1198 displacement is the real motor, that's the displacement they raced with, so that's the "real" engine.

So the bike's to look at should be the 848 evo and 1198.

They are very similar machines, nice smooth power and good mid range. The 848 doesn't have the top end of the 1198 at high speed, but it does have good torque. My 848 race bike produced 74lb of torque, which is not too bad. However, launch both bikes from a stop light and the 848 will stay near the 1198 for a few yards because it's easier to start due to it's wet clutch and lower power. So in the 0 - 60 land, both bikes are very similar riding in that speed zone.

On the track, the 1198 leaves the 848 in the dust. It's kind of obvious why… more torque to come out of corners with. Which nets you more speed for the straight where the horsepower kicks in. There really isn't any competition with the good rider on both bikes, the 1198 is a faster machine hands-down.

Having ridden both A LOT and having owned/raced all the mid-displacement Ducati's, I've never really felt I needed more power out of the 748R/749R or 848. Yes, they require more work to ride, you've gotta be inch perfect and carry corner speed. However, that challenge makes them more fun in the long run. So for me, the 848 is a no brainer… wet clutch, lighter weight, plenty of power. But I don't weigh anything and I don't need to go 160mph on the streets. So… what's the point of having all that displacement when you really can't use it anywhere but on the track WITH a good rider at the throttle.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: redsail

·
Registered
401 Posts
The 848 motor is nothing like the 998 engine, they're completely different feeling lumps and the 1098/1198 is closer to the 848 then the 998. Honestly, I've never liked the 1098, its an in-between motor in my view. The 1198 displacement is the real motor, that's the displacement they raced with, so that's the "real" engine.

Sorry! Your not well are you?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the 998 a lot because it has the right amount of torque. You can get 140rwhp out of those motors with R cam's and higher compression pistons no problem. The 848 motor is nothing like the 998 engine, they're completely different feeling lumps and the 1098/1198 is closer to the 848 then the 998. Honestly, I've never liked the 1098, its an in-between motor in my view. The 1198 displacement is the real motor, that's the displacement they raced with, so that's the "real" engine.

They are very similar machines, nice smooth power and good mid range. The 848 doesn't have the top end of the 1198 at high speed, but it does have good torque. My 848 race bike produced 74lb of torque, which is not too bad. However, launch both bikes from a stop light and the 848 will stay near the 1198 for a few yards because it's easier to start due to it's wet clutch and lower power. So in the 0 - 60 land, both bikes are very similar riding in that speed zone.

On the track, the 1198 leaves the 848 in the dust. It's kind of obvious why… more torque to come out of corners with. Which nets you more speed for the straight where the horsepower kicks in. There really isn't any competition with the good rider on both bikes, the 1198 is a faster machine hands-down.

Having ridden both A LOT and having owned/raced all the mid-displacement Ducati's, I've never really felt I needed more power out of the 748R/749R or 848. Yes, they require more work to ride, you've gotta be inch perfect and carry corner speed. However, that challenge makes them more fun in the long run. So for me, the 848 is a no brainer… wet clutch, lighter weight, plenty of power. But I don't weigh anything and I don't need to go 160mph on the streets. So… what's the point of having all that displacement when you really can't use it anywhere but on the track WITH a good rider at the throttle.

Just my 2 cents.
Thank you for your input.

I am slowly leaning towards the 848 Evo but there are still days I wake up with a 1098/1198 on my mind.

I don't quiet agree with the "real" engine comment regarding 1198 vs 1098 but no biggy, I think they are both very capable machines.

As far as 1198 vs 848 evo goes, I highly doubt a novice rider like me (ex-wera and CCS) can do a better lap time on a 1198 at my local race track (VIR).. I am certain I will probably do better @ VIR on an EVO as guys (novice racers-yellow plates) on 70 hp SV650 with $600 Penske shocks are doing ridiculous laptimes..

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I don't quiet agree with the "real" engine comment regarding 1198 vs 1098 but no biggy, I think they are both very capable machines.
The 1098's are first generation, so they have a few issues. You'll get arguments from everyone on here who have billions of miles on them, but from my experience, I prefer the 1198 over the 1098 internally.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Returning to Ducati after a long Hiatus..cant decide between 848Evo and 1098/...

The 1098's are first generation, so they have a few issues. You'll get arguments from everyone on here who have billions of miles on them, but from my experience, I prefer the 1198 over the 1098 internally.

Yeah, how many miles do you have on a 1098? That's what I thought. So what "experience" are you referring to?

From someone who actually owns AND rides an original 1098 (April 2097) the motor is definitely "real." Does the 1198 have a livelier motor? Of course it does it has an extra 100ccs of suck-squeeze-bang-blow!!! But the 1098 is more than sufficient. And with an exhaust and tune, the gap between 1098 and 1198 disappears. Lastly, if you're considering the 848 at all, then the displacement difference between the bigger bikes is no argument at all.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yeah, how many miles do you have on a 1098? That's what I thought. So what "experience" are you referring to?
I use to build Ducati engines as part of my income. So I have a great deal of experience building these engines and understanding the differences between them internally rather than externally. I apologize if you don't feel my information is worth while. I just want everyone to be happy with their purchase that's all.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use to build Ducati engines as part of my income. So I have a great deal of experience building these engines and understanding the differences between them internally rather than externally. I apologize if you don't feel my information is worth while. I just want everyone to be happy with their purchase that's all.
The saddest thing on the "internet" is the dick-sizing pissing contests..no matter where I go the same "element" is there..
silly arguments filled with personal insecurities is ONE thing I dont think anyone did (face to face) before internet..

Not saying who is to blame in this example..

I dont know if exposure to more choices leads younger more immature people to own certain products that only veterans and true enthusiast used to own.. whatever the reason may be it is SAD

If someone make a negative comment about something a person happens to own, it becomes this crusade to "change the person's mind because that person is wrong and I am right" and there is only one side to a story or opinion..

<shakes head in disappointment>

·
Registered
438 Posts
Gotta give it up to tooned, he'll help you even when he can't.

I really laughed at this line "I just want everyone to be happy with their purchase that's all"... that's all:jerkoff:

Only you can decide which bike is for you. And if you have been riding for a while you know what your riding style is and you chose the horse power accordingly. The 848/1*98 platform is mostly all the same with HP being a main difference.

The 848 and 1098 aren't that far apart price wise and the 1198 platform is getting cheaper everyday.
So price wise 7-10K. You can and will pay more for the evo(848) S and R versions (1*98) You can search on here for the differences in the models.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Buy my 1198 track bike! Has all the goodies on it that you'll ever need! :D

But you'd have to wait until after 4th of July weekend and you'd have to travel to the middle of the country :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you have a need for speed and power go with the 1098/1198, after a few years on my 848 i am now wanting more power and speed, just doesn't have the same excitement factor it used to lol.

Don't get me wrong 848 is an amazing bike and i doubt i will ever get rid of mine, but if you are starting off fresh get the bigger bike!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Buy my 1198 track bike! Has all the goodies on it that you'll ever need! :D

But you'd have to wait until after 4th of July weekend and you'd have to travel to the middle of the country :)

What.. this is the second time you offered up your 1198 for sale in as many weeks Rub.. U looking at the 1199 huh with all those fancy electronics.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
What.. this is the second time you offered up your 1198 for sale in as many weeks Rub.. U looking at the 1199 huh with all those fancy electronics.
Nah...what I'd want would be considered blasphemy here! :p Not that I wouldn't want an 1199, but selling my 1198 wouldn't be enough to afford one.

I'm not putting it up for sale, but to me anything is for sale for the right price. I'd sell my house tomorrow if some random person offered me at least $30k more than I paid for it :D

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
OHH NOO Rub's going to the dark side! :(

I'll say this much, my 848 was plenty competitive against 600s, if that's where you're goin' next…

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
OHH NOO Rub's going to the dark side! :(

I'll say this much, my 848 was plenty competitive against 600s, if that's where you're goin' next…
The dark side is very subjective.

All I know so far is that next I'm going to Road America and race my 1198. After that, time will tell...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.