Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes the rev counter on my SS 900 Supersport goes ballistic, the needle jumping around with motor running absolutely smoothly.
This lasts only for a short period before settling down again.

I had this same problem back when I had big electrical problems and running the battery flat a few times. The fix was a new regulator, stator and battery (x2). After fixing the electricals the rev counter was fine for a while but it starts now again to play up sometimes. Voltage in battery seems to be ok.

How is the rev counter related to the electrics or is it another problem entirely? :confused:

Any thoughts much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Electronic tachometers give erratic readings when the base voltage is low, usually caused by a loose battery connection. The worse situation for low voltage is at idle when the alternator output is at it’s lowest. You may just need a new battery or a good charging.

If it's not the battery:

Most likely - Intermittent power or ground connection

Next likely - Intermittent rpm signal or sensor connection

Least likely - Tachometer internal problems

Check for a loose or corroded electrical connection at the battery, the fuse, and any in-line connector. Check the two battery connections first, next the connector at the instrument cluster, then at the fuse, and lastly at the wiring harness connections.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shaz,

this now makes perfect sense to me.

It is not the battery so I probably have a weak connection somewhere and every now and again there is not enough voltage resulting in a jumping rev needle.

Time for a strip down of the old girl.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts