Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd share a little bit of my experience from this past weekend. Made the long trip down from MN to Austin to ride at COTA. Very well run riding school organization that takes pride in instruction and building solidly skilled riders. The mantra for the weekend was "Coming back". So everything we did, how we conducted ourselves in the paddock, and how we acted out on track will surely be taken into consideration when RideSmart approaches COTA in the offseason to request dates to return next year. Seeing as how Sat went (and I'm sure Sun as well), we'll all be waiting for the "RS is returning to COTA" email next March.

Was able to take an enormous amount away from the event learning-wise because there are a lot of different kinds of corners on this track. Lots of mistakes that I instantly knew what I did wrong (most of them vision-related), and also found out why my lower bp on lefts feel disconnected compared to my rights, so the day was definitely a positive learning experience that I didn't beat myself up on (like I normally do), and caused me to take a better look at the bike once I got home to remedy the bp problem.

There are a few spots that can be taken much faster than it looks (well, for me EVERYWHERE can be taken much faster, lol): T2 at the bottom of the hill, the "esses"(T3-4-5),the "kink" (T10), and the "carousel" (T16-17-18). But the slow looking parts are most certainly slow corners: hairpins at the end of the front straight (T1) and going onto the back straight (T11), and 120 deg turns at T12,15, & 20 because of the speed you can generate before them. Literally miles of asphalt in most corners that really lets you experiment with different lines and attack angles. VERY easy to overcook one corner which can either throw off the entire section, or cost time to slow and repoint. This place was pretty much a mixture of every track I've been on, and it still had a few corner types that I'd never seen before. Technical circuit in every sense of the term.

Nothing remotely close to being quick at any point during the day, but just posting this to hopefully give a glimpse of what a few laps look like by a regular guy at Circuit of the Americas. :)

Sadly I only rode on Saturday, as I made plans to visit my grandma (which that visit was absolutely awesome and much needed for both of us) once I saw Sun was waitlisted back in April. Plans were already set in stone as far as being back for work, so even when I got the email offer to sign up for Sun I had to decline. :-(

Tons of fun and already looking forward to going back to do better next year by adding some speed and better accuracy to the mix (hopefully with a few friends to join me from MN!).

Vid below is just the final cool down short session tailing my garage mate on his 1098 for a couple laps. Nothing impressive, but just serving as enticement to hopefully get some .org members out to this event!

https://vimeo.com/m/99181989

-Christian

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
What a gr8 track!! Gotta go!!! Thanks for a great video.

Reactions: ANORXIC'51

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What a gr8 track!! Gotta go!!! Thanks for a great video.
Thanks for the kudos, Mr. Bob! Even if it's just one time, the price of admission is worth it. I can't imagine being in Europe and having access to on-track riding events at similar world class circuits more every month. Licked my chops when I saw Qatar actually has trackdays at night like when the GP event happens. :)

Oh, just you wait. The quick guys/gals that were there last year (so they already kind of knew the track layout/lines/elevation/etc) were clicking along pretty well by the end of the first day. They said the level 3 guys were running in the .38-50's range towards the end of Sat. Best I was mustering when I had mostly clear track without passing the traffic I did catch up to was .56s. There was a girl (I think her name was Brandy, don't quote me on that...yellow plates with CMRA) that was making all of us in 2b look silly, lol.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Thanks for the kudos, Mr. Bob! Even if it's just one time, the price of admission is worth it. I can't imagine being in Europe and having access to on-track riding events at similar world class circuits more every month. Licked my chops when I saw Qatar actually has trackdays at night like when the GP event happens. :)

Oh, just you wait. The quick guys/gals that were there last year (so they already kind of knew the track layout/lines/elevation/etc) were clicking along pretty well by the end of the first day. They said the level 3 guys were running in the .38-50's range towards the end of Sat. Best I was mustering when I had mostly clear track without passing the traffic I did catch up to was .56s. There was a girl (I think her name was Brandy, don't quote me on that...yellow plates with CMRA) that was making all of us in 2b look silly, lol.

I've learned there are many levels of humility in our sport!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Truer words have never been spoken. I don't even bat an eye when getting schooled by the other sex and slowly getting used to the same when its done by the AARP crowd.. No offense Bob! :D

·
Registered
150 Posts

Yea that's her name she rides a gsxr 750. She's pretty quick. I'm glad you enjoyed riding with those guys. ridesmart is a good group. tony one of the older instructors is a real hoot! Wish I could've made it to the June event. I'll be there in Sept. I hope they continue to book the event!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts